Sears M25 .22

Started by sakorick, March 13, 2015, 02:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I found this one at Cabelas on Tuesday. They were asking $159. The guy knows me and I said I'll give you $135.....done. I had $27 in points so out the door for 115.....I had to pay tax. The Sears M25 was made by Hi Standard and I stripped it cleaned it, repaired the stock and it shoots......1 shell at at time. I suspect one or all of 3 thing could be wrong. The feed ramp is out of whack, the ejector is worn and the extractor as well. That said they sure look good. I need to do some more testing first. Whoever owned it started to refinish the stock and gave up....I finished it in 3 days. The good news is that Numrich has parts for these.:jumpingsmiley:

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

RatherBHuntin

Beautiful wood, and I like the lines of the barrel and action too.  I'm sure you'll have it running in no time.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Wow, another nice bunny gun there Rick, wood came up good!

Well it is extracting... I'd check to see if chamber mouth has a ding from a screwdriver expert or possible dry-firing. The other will be to look for possible bolt movement resistance above the normal weight n spring, might be summat 'not right' there. (not saying that the bolt and spring have been modified)
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;137991Wow, another nice bunny gun there Rick, wood came up good!

Well it is extracting... I'd check to see if chamber mouth has a ding from a screwdriver expert or possible dry-firing. The other will be to look for possible bolt movement resistance above the normal weight n spring, might be summat 'not right' there. (not saying that the bolt and spring have been modified)

You have a knack of getting to the problem of things. The chamber mouth is jibbered. The good news is that Numrich has brand new barrels for 31 dollars so why fight the problem? They also had brand new bolts with new extractors and springs for $31, bolt spring for 2.10 and a new rear sight ladder for $1.05. That will also leave me with several spares which might be hard to come by down the road. My  cheap fun has gotten more expensive but still a nice gun for the money. Thanks Alain.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Semi auto rim-fires are easy to jigger up at end of the day, hopefully it will turn out to be a reliable bunny basher!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Wonder if you could use that rear sight on the Krico?
Turvey Stalking

gitano

What - specifically - are you using to strip the existing finish, Rick?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I used a thin coat of Strypeze for 10 minutes and took it off with Denatured Alcohol. I let it dry  for 30 min then some stain and started the Armorall/Truoil mix. I waited 30 min between coats and stopped after 6 coats as it had a decent matte finish at that point. Follow the directions of the guy on Rimfire Central who invented the mixture. I stained it with one coat Military stock stain and then one coat of Minwax Jacobean. I let it sit overnight before starting the Armorall/Truoil process.

gitano

I'm surprised to hear you say you used the Armorall/Truoil process! When last I read your take on that you said the processes you used had worked for "x" many years and you weren't inclined to fix something that wasn't broken.

There used to be only a few different 'strippers' out there, but about 20 years ago "out there" exploded with wood finish strippers. (Everything from "Simple Green" to "Easy Off".) It's so rare that I strip an existing finish off of a piece of wood that I couldn't remember any particular one EXCEPT Easy Off oven cleaner which I have used on milsurps to remove serious cosmoline. I don't want to use Easy Off on the broken 88.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

True, however, I waited for the appropriate time to try it. It works and I am impressed. I finished a gun stock in one day that would have normally taken 7 to 10 days. Now there are friends of mine that say I'm set in my ways....not true as I am always ready to try new things.....the problem is most of them don't work.

Quote from: gitano;138008I'm surprised to hear you say you used the Armorall/Truoil process! When last I read your take on that you said the processes you used had worked for "x" many years and you weren't inclined to fix something that wasn't broken. Paul

gitano

Nothing wrong with being "set" in one's ways when those ways are tried and true.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh yes Progress .................................... or what they call progress is often more likely an excuse to make things cheaper yet inflate the price. AS I am fond of saying new is not always better and often worse than old.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: