Field report for .204 ruger with 32 grain v-max's

Started by Gmoney, February 07, 2005, 11:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

There has been some talk on THL about the .204 and how it performs....we have discussed how flat it is, how much recoil there isn't....etc.... We just have been starving for field knowledge and how it performs on game especially if the Vmax exits....This weekend I was able to answer these performance questions....

I went to a calling contest and around 10 guys were shooting  .204's and all were using Hornady 32 grain V-max's.....including myself....Using this combo there was a mixed bag of critters taken....grey foxes and bobcats.....

Out of 17 animals taken only 1 had an exit wound and it was shot from 10 yards....Shoulder shots, vital broadside shots, Texas heart shots......I saw all of these and the only exit was a 10 yard broadside shot on a grey fox that went throught the brisket and had a 50 cent sized exit hole.....

This is what I purchased my .204 for....fun, flat shooting, low recoil, and now fur friendly....

Note that none of these shots were head shots but I am guessing that a headshot will leave a mess......all animals dropped in their tracks as well..

These are my first hand experiences and may differ from someone else's.....I know quite a few on this board would be interested in hearing this so let the talk begin.......
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

M1Garand

Thanks for the update, that's the same combo I use in my Ruger #1.

clarkston_cz

Nice report!  I was in an Idaho gunshop today. The two guys there told me that
 they couldn't keep the CZ rifles or any .204s in stock!  They also sold alot of
 .204 ammo.

CZforum.com & www.cz-zone.com

FOR ALL OF YOUR CZ NEEDS!

Kanibal

I have been surfing the net reading article after article discussing 204 Ruger field reports. There has been nothing but good things said about the 204. It is taking the varmint world by storm as shown by sales and reviews. I think in the next few years ammo and rifle availability will increase greatly. It shares the good aspects of a lot of the top varmint cartridges out there today without any of the drawbacks. The guy who did the test for Pentax scopes with a Remington LV SF in the 204 was making clean one shot kills on prairie dogs up to 550-600 yards away.  It has even been used on African safaris and taken some of the smaller gazelles and brush bucks. Quite an amazing cartridge and I look forward to hearing more about it. All who have a rifle in 204 let us know how you like it and how it performs. Thanks and take care.

-Richard
-Richard

jaylym

well i know there are ifles in 204 from remington, savage, ruger of course and cz.  But are any other companies making these rifles? by the way thats a nice looking cz. how much could i get a cz for?

Kanibal

Other rifle  makes chambering for 204 Ruger include H&R, Kimber and I believe Cooper, but am not sure.
-Richard

calestus

Blast these field reports!  My birthday was sunday and the only reason I didn't get a rifle was I couldnt decide on what caliber I "needed" I guess this one goes to the top of the needed list.

Thank you for the update on the .204

Kanibal

Also Browning offers the 204 Ruger in two models for those who like Browning rifles.  Some custom gun makers are making the 204 Ruger as well from what I hear.
-Richard

clarkston_cz

The CZ .204R protype 527s were tested in Africa on Jackals, and other animals.

CZforum.com & www.cz-zone.com

FOR ALL OF YOUR CZ NEEDS!

mudturtle

Boy, this is great news.  I recenlty purchased a Ruger Mark II in .204.  I haven't got to shoot it yet, but I can't wait.  One thing I am surprised on those is that it seems the 32 gr. bullets seem to be the best stablized/most accurate.  I thought the heavier bullets would stabilize better.  Oh well, maybe my gun will.  I'll just have to burn some powder and find out.

rebroy

I have had a Ruger .204 for 8 months now. It shreds crows. And woodchucks, at 80 yards no exit, just jello. I hit it in the head, went down the spin and made chunks along the way.

Tags: