This belongs with you Paul....

Started by branxhunter, July 04, 2015, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Now that is a nice falling block....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

That's very interesting! And in Anchorage too! Could save $75 on shipping too.

Getting this rifle would certainly force me to 'liquidate' some other ones. However, it has been my intent of late to turn the old ones purchased for "investment" into different ones of greater value.

Closes in a little less than 4 hours. We'll see what happens.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

You need that gun, Paul. Not want, need. If you bring it down when you next come we'll take it for a coyote or two.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I placed a bid to test the waters, HB, and I'm keeping an eye on it. I've got an idea in my head about how much I'd be willing to part with for it. The real question is how bad does x****x want it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I chased it up to $1805 but somebody wanted more than me.

Paul

Oops. I chased it an additional $50 and got it!

Sue's gonna kill me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

Nice! I can't wait to hear how it shoots and maybe try it next summer.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

branxhunter

Quote from: gitano;140073I chased it up to $1805 but somebody wanted more than me.

Paul

Oops. I chased it an additional $50 and got it!

Sue's gonna kill me.

Paul

Hahahahhaaaa!!

Looking forward to hearing the range report, and your review of the mechanism.

Marcus

JaDub

My GOD !!!!    I`d be afraid to scratch it.   It`s a work of art.    Hooooo  Weeeeeeeeeee  !!

Your marriage WILL survive this.  8-)

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;140081My GOD !!!!    I`d be afraid to scratch it.   It`s a work of art.    Hooooo  Weeeeeeeeeee  !!

Your marriage WILL survive this.  8-)

My thoughts as well.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

"I have a cunning plan..." :D

Actually, Sue and I went through the "gun thing" in the late '90s. My pension plan - with the state of Alaska - took a big hit with the stock market crash of '98 ('99, whenever it was). I was seriously ticked off. Shortly thereafter, I found out what the guns my Dad had given me were worth. They had increased in value WAY beyond what the stock market had done over the same time interval. I knew NOTHING about what my money was invested in and knew NOTHING about how the decisions were made with respect to that investment.  And I had just lost A LOT of money! Guns I know. I told Sue I would be investing in something I actually knew something about.

The logic was there and Sue is a logical thinker. However, she's also a woman. (Thank God for that.) So the logic and the reality didn't really mesh at first. For several years there was 'tension' every time I bought some more guns. Finally, I just quit telling her about the purchases. Of course  when she "found out" about them, there was a lot of 'heat'. I "explained" that if she was going to question every investment I made, then we weren't partners, I just the "boy", and that was not only wrong, it wasn't gonna 'work'. Ultimately she came around to the understanding that just because I LIKE something - firearms - it doesn't mean that when I buy one it's a self-indulgent "toy". In other words, she genuinely understands that firearms CAN be a legitimate investment.

In that context, at this point in my life, it's time to start considering liquidation of investment, not continued investment. Of course it's not quite that simple. However, my plan is to start converting some of those old milsurps that I bought for investment into guns of greater value. That's what will happen with this one. I intend to sell as many "old" guns as I need to cover the cost of this one. Most of the milsurps I own have at least doubled in value, and that's taking the lowball prices currently being given for them.

That said, I paid about $200 more for this rifle that I thought it was "worth" today. (What I might be able to get for it if I tried to turn around and sell it tomorrow.) It - like many investments - was a bit of a gamble. The "gamble" was the 'toy' part of the purchase. Here's my rationale: Because Reidl was actually a "real" firearms manufacturer, that was only in business for a short while BUT made firearms that people have an interest in, these rifles should increase in value fairly consistently. Also, this is a "factory" chambering in a cartridge that I don't think anyone is making "factory" rifles in any more. Most of the "good" firearms I own, I don't intend to sell. I intend to pass them on to my children, as my Dad did for me. I strongly suspect that by that time, this rifle - one of the "good" ones - will have increased in value sufficiently to justify the purchase price.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

JaDub - I think this rifle has been a closet queen, however, even as an 'investment', it will not be one in my hands. I don't worry TOO much about dents, dings, and scratches. I'll hunt with this rifle.

I pick it up this afternoon.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So for those waiting with bait on their breath, you'll have to wait 'til Wednesday. I rented some scaffolding last Wednesday to do some trim work in my house. I have to rent it by the week. It will take at least 4 hours to go to Los Anchorage to get the rifle. About two and a half hours - round trip - of driving plus going to the bank to get the cash plus the 'transaction time'. That would really cut into the time I have left with the scaffolding. So, I talked with the fellow that has the rifle and we agreed that I would pick it up on Wednesday afternoon.

I figure if I can wait, so can you. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice purchase Paul. Beautiful piece.

Marcus, you are handing the keys out to the candy store cheeky fella. :MOGRIN:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: