Evan's Crappie

Started by sakorick, July 22, 2015, 02:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

My Grandson Evan thought he had a nice bass but instead it turned into a big Crappie. 1 pound 8 ounces and 13 3/4 inches long......just missed a Missouri Master Angler Award....2 pounds and 15 inches.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

That's a nice fish. Go Evan!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

NICE FISH, Evan!

Actually, I can check and see if that is one of the ones we caught. I'll check and let you know.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Eric claims to lost a Missouri Award Fish but the big Bluegil got out of the wire cage somehow. Evan confirmed it was "real big". Got to check the release spring on those baskets.:p

davidlt89

That is huge!!! they call them rock bass up here and I never seen one half that size!!! Congrats to the young man!!! OUTSTANDING! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Quote from: davidlt89;140351That is huge!!! they call them rock bass up here and I never seen one half that size!!! Congrats to the young man!!! OUTSTANDING! God Bless.

David, that is a Black Crappie. I hate to break the news, but that is a Black Crappie every where in the universe......including Maine.:grin:

gitano

I looked at all of the pictures that we took of the crappie that Pat and I caught last year, and got no 'matches'. BUT... most of the pictures we took were of the left side of the fish. The picture above of Evan's fish is the right side. Of the few that we took of the right side, none match.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I will tell the boys to take pictures of each side of the fish!

gitano

I think it would be interesting to the boys. If they let the fish go - especially the small ones - they can see the growth the next time they catch them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Everywhere EXCEPT, Louisiana, there you have the choice of sac a  lait or white perch.
I know, Louisiana is quite possibly not of this world, but!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

sakorick

Quote from: drinksgin;140388Everywhere EXCEPT, Louisiana, there you have the choice of sac a  lait or white perch.
I know, Louisiana is quite possibly not of this world, but!

Yep and they call them Specks in Florida! Whatever....they are just about my favorite fresh water eating fish and that includes Walleyes.

drinksgin (deceased)

Rick, you got that right!
I could never understand people getting excited over trout, salmon and char when sunfish were available, How ever, for those living in the cold and quivering north, as well as shivering, I can understand that they eat what they can get.
Paul ,did the little shake wake you up?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Didn't even know about it.

My favorite fish are crappie, bluegill, and catfish. However, as Don points out, up here in the frozen north, 'trout', charr, and salmon aren't bad if chosen properly. Can't remember liking trout too much in any form. Salmon -chinook from the Yukon and sockeye from the Copper - are better than crappie, bluegill, and catfish. Charr (lake "trout", dolly varden, arctic charr (which are just sea-run dollys), brook "trout"), can be good tasting, but they have to come from the 'right' body of water AND be cooked soon after capture AND cooked "right".

Fresh halibut - meaning never frozen and cooked within 8 hours of capture - is difficult to beat. "Old" halibut is just another "white-fleshed" fish. Burbot, (Lota lota and AKA "Freshwater Ling Cod"), is also VERY difficult to beat for taste. I'd probably rather have fresh burbot than fresh salmon - except Yukon kings.

I've never had much opportunity to eat walleye. From what I understand from reliable sources, it's the "bee's knees". I can believe it. Most fish - like crappie, big bluegills, burbot, etc. - that feed exclusively on littler fish are usually very tasty.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteI hate to break the news, but that is a Black Crappie every where in the universe......including Maine
that may be rick! here in Maine, they are rock bass period! we have a different name for most fish apparently. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Quote from: davidlt89;140450that may be rick! here in Maine, they are rock bass period! we have a different name for most fish apparently. God Bless.

A Rock Bass is a Red Eye or Goggle Eye. I have never heard of a Rock Bass being mixed up with a Crappie. That's a new one on me!

Tags: