Llano John Update

Started by mountainbiker, July 29, 2015, 01:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainbiker

Hey guys,
                 This is Andy Dear, John Talley's cousin. It's been quite some time since I last posted, but I wanted to let y'all know what's going on with John. He is still in the nursing home/rehab facility here in Comfort Texas. His condition is about the same...not really any worse. He has gained a VERY small amount of feeling back in his right foot over the last year. Additionally if you ask him to move his right trigger finger, you can actually see a very small amount of muscle movement on the top of his right hand. Its VERY small, but at least it's something. He has good days and bad days...sort of depends upon what time of day you see him and how close that is to when he takes his meds. He still is pretty adamant about not doing any sort of rehab or physical therapy, which is disappointing, but it is what it is. He still mentions the board from time to time, and I know he misses interacting with all of you. At this stage of the game, I don't see him really getting any significantly better, as he refuses to engage in rehab that may help his condition. I feel certain he'll remain mostly bed ridden and disabled for the remainder of his life, which is really too bad. His mental faculties are still good, even though his speech is slow. Strokes are odd things....he cant remember hardly any of the 7 years he lived in Castell, but he can rattle off powder charges and ballistics for any caliber you ask him about. I try to see him at least once a week for an hour or two, so if any of you guys have any messages you want to relay I'm happy to do so.

Best Regards,

Andy

gitano

Interesting that you returned, Andy. I was just talking about you and John TWO DAYS ago with drinksgin.

I wish there was more 'we' could do. Actually, I wish we could encourage - or FORCE - John to get with the rehab.

Thanks for keeping us posted, and let us know if we can do anything. I don't recall if we discussed Skyping with John before, but if it were possible, I would be very interested in doing that. (Audio only would be just fine.) Especially if you think it would encourage him to 'get with the program'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Andy,  

Thanks for filling us in on John.

Ditto on what Paul said. I have thought of John numerous times and have always wondered how he`s doing. Please pass along our greetings and well wishes to him. We definitely have not forgotten him! We miss hearing from him.

All the best , John !!!!!

JaDub in Denver

sakorick

Thanks for the update, Andy.  I echo JaDub and gitano's comments. Regards from sakorick in Missouri.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

mountainbiker

Thanks guys,
                           I'll pass a long the messages. Unfortunately he's remained bed ridden for so long, even his good side has atrophied due to under use. The rehab at best would give him more flexibility and range of motion, but the truth is, he'll never walk again. He'll never be independent again.....at this point he cant feed himself because of the atrophy of the good arm, and he certainly cant clean himself. So, you know, the nursing home where he's at is the absolute best place for him. The nurses there really like him, as he's very feisty and flirtatious with them...LOL, and they take good care of him. Fortunately I live only about 6 miles away from the home, so I can see him pretty often. Last Thanksgiving I went and picked him up and brought him back to my house for Thanksgiving dinner. It took 3 of us to get him in and out of his wheelchair, but it was worth it...he had a great time. Were planning on taking him up to Castell (the town where he lived at the time of the stroke) for lunch sometime this fall. Mentally its good for him to get out and get some sunshine. I know he struggles with depression and anxiety over the whole deal, and I cant say I blame him. It's tough because he HATES it when I have to leave, because he's pretty lonely. I'll try to be more active on the forum, with more regular updates, as I know he always thought a lot of you guys.

Andy

branxhunter

Thanks for the update mountain biker. Please pass on regards from the Aussies here on the forum.

Does John have the ability to view photos (on an iPad or similar) or listen to audiobooks in the nursing home?

Marcus

Hunterbug

Thanx for the update. I'm with Gitano on the rehab. It does wonders but only if the person wants it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for filling us in on John. All I can do is echo what everyone else said. Tell O'l John we're hoping he gets on therapy & gets at least a bit of mobility back. .....Paul H

Alboy

lAST UPDATE SOME 2 YEARS AGO.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: