.22 Hornet Contender Build - But That Title Is Taken

Started by gitano, June 28, 2016, 02:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

How one comes by firearms can be a simple story: I went to Cabelas. I saw a rifle I liked. I bought it. (A simplicity I might add that we in this nation are BLESSED to have, and a blessing we too often take for granted.)

On the other hand, sometimes the story is not so simple. You can imagine the nature of this story. However, I will quickly add that I have had other stories that were WAY more convoluted than this one.

The new rifle, as you should have gathered from the title of this thread, is a Thompson Contender chambered in .22 Hornet. It is indeed a "build" because as I have pointed out elsewhere I will not purchase anything from Thompson Firearms directly, or Smith & Wesson either. (S&W bought out Thompson back in, if I remember correctly, '07.) Furthermore, I didn't start out even wanting a new firearm. In fact, I am in the 'reduction' mode of firearm moving, not the acquisition mode. "Well if all that is true, what are you doing with a new rifle!" you might ask. Good question!

Quite a while back, j0e_bl0ggs commenced his efforts to build a .22 Hornet for his Contender receiver. There is plenty of 'saga' associated with that effort, but I'll let him relate what he cares to about that. The last step in that process was to buy a custom barrel. E. Arthur Brown makes Contender barrels and so j0e_bl0ggs asked me to do the ordering of said barrel from EAB. It was to have a "semi-bull" barrel, be 26" long, high polish, and blued. EAB said $400 and 6 months. The order was placed.

In the mean time, j0e_bl0ggs' Firearm Certificate (FAC) expired. Much as our FFLs expire every few years and need renewal. Gory details aside, suffice it to say that his new FAC does not have a 'slot' for the new .22 Hornet barrel. :cry: However, this all transpired about 5 months after the EAB barrel had been ordered. :angry: The long and short of it being that the barrel arrived at my place "on time" with no place to "go".

For my part in it, I wasn't interested in a new rifle, let alone a Contender. However, there was no legal way for j0e_bl0ggs to take possession of the new barrel. AND... I gotta tell ya, the barrel is gorgeous! They ain't cheap, but they are worth the 'dosh' (as our Brit friends would say). You'll see pictures of it soon, but the pictures don't really do it justice. It's a NICE barrel. So here I am with a barrel and no receiver, no stock, no 'scope. My oh my, what am I to do? :angel:

Start looking for a receiver is what "I am to do". :) (C'mon. Did you really think there was ANYTHING ELSE going to happen?) The FIRST place I "looked" was to Hunterbug - AKA the Pawn Star of THL. The man knows how to find deals at pawn shops! In fact, he had in-the-not-so-distant-past found a Contender for himself at a pawnshop, and metaphorically speaking, "stolen" it. I sic'd him on the task of finding a Contender receiver for me. In the mean time, j0e_bl0ggs and I would continue to scour the internet looking for "deals".

There were plenty of Contender receivers about, both generation 1 and 2, but all of them were in the $300 to $400 range. Too high for my blood for a TC rcvr. I waited for HB to find one. Then, one day wandering around Gunbroker.com, I stumbled on one that had JUST been listed in a "Buy it Now" for $200 + $6 S&H. I "bought it NOW". Turned out to be one made in '83. (See here http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19122 for manufacturing dates by serial number.) Another $20 for transfer fee and all I needed was a stock!

Again, looking on the internet auction sites was not productive as everyone was VERY proud of their TC wood. Fine. I just went to Boyds //www.boydsgunstocks.com/ and ordered a thumbhole in "nutmeg" for $100 plus $30 shipping. I got it today.

I am not sure what scope I am going to put on this. I recently bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mueller-Target-Rifle-Scope-30mm-Tube-8-32x-44mm-Special-New-Tactical-Mil-Dot-/201586371912?hash=item2eef7bed48:g:u0oAAMXQO21Rp1Z~ but I don't know if I will put it on this rifle or not. I'm trying to get this rifle scoped - http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13245&highlight=Krag. (The scope on it was traded for another rifle.) So... I'm not sure about what's going on this Contender yet.:undecided: BUT... as you will see in the pictures, I already have the "Weaver-type" rail for the EAB barrel.

As I said, I got the stock today. What became immediately obvious was that I am not quite finished 'building'. I need two screws and a bolt yet: Two screws for the forearm, and a bolt to attach the stock to the receiver. :angry: Oh well. Worst case scenario is that I make them myself.

So... What you have been waiting for. The pictures.

Here's the whole rifle from the left side:

And some closer looks at the left side:

And the right side:

The shell casing you see in the pictures is the one provided by EAB with the barrel. The assertion is that it came from that barrel. I have no reason to doubt that.

There ya go. A new rifle in spite of myself. It was just too 'easy' to pass up. I'm looking forward to shooting it. I expect it to shoot very straight, but only time will tell that. In the mean time I need to get some screws for the forearm, a bolt for the receiver, and a 'scope mounted.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Very excellent, top drawer, blue-chip, major league, top-flight, A-1, matchless, inimitable, unrivalled, unmatchable....that about sums it up.....if it shoots!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

"If it shoots" :MOGRIN:.

Absolutely!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Karma I guess, had 'Eagle View' been on the ball with the contender stub you would not have that rifle!
It was an odd story, the Contender stub chopped from a 30-30 pistol was sent to me by a kind American from another forum enabling my build.
Photobucket is 'down for maintenance' at the moment...more karma...

PB back up...looks nice!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jorge in Oz

Lovely rig Paul.

Can't wait to see how it shoots.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

I'll be getting the forearm and "grip screws" today. There's a remote chance I can get to the range today too.

News at ll.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

'Scope is on. Stock is mounted. Prolly won't get to the range until Saturday or Sunday.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: