It's What's for Dinner...

Started by gitano, April 08, 2017, 01:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

3 Pounds of wild turkey legs and thighs. :chef: They're brining at the moment. Will be baked this evening. I'll take a picture of the 'finished product'.

These are the legs and thighs of the larger of the two birds I shot a week ago in central Texas. (I'm composing the hunting stories.)

Here's a sneak preview of the pictures you will see in the stories. The legs and thighs above are from this bird. More details in the stories.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

A turkey hunt would be a hoot ( or would that be a gobble?) My nephew has them on his place in Montana, might have to try and talk him into letting me whack one.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I don't think there is a more exciting 'big game' hunt than spring turkey in North America, with the possible exception of bugling elk.

I forgot to take the "after" pictures! Dang! Truth is, they didn't look much different from when they started. They tasted very good, but VERY tough! If I was eating it while I was blind-folded, I'm not sure I would think it was turkey. Tasted a great deal like "game" - mammal. Not strong-tasting, but not 'bird-tasting' either. VERY dark meat.

I had to 'wrestle' it a bit, but I don't mind wrestling game meat. I think the best way to cook the thigh and drumstick is to put them in either a pressure cooker, or a slow cooker for several hours. The meat would then fall off of the bone, or would be very tender.

There was a surprising amount of meat. I ate one drumstick and what my wife left of the thigh, and we were both well full. I won't leave the drumsticks or thighs on any bird I shoot. In fact, I'm going to be taking the meat off of the wings too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Glad to see you had a successful hunt
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

sakorick

John smokes the thighs, wings and drumsticks. He fillets the meat off the breasts then pounds the heck out of them. He marinates them in something and slow cooks the meat...pretty good. He had also made Cordon Bleu with Swiss Cheese, Farmer's Ham and Panko.......my favorite. I am not a big fan of Wild Turkey eats but it's fun to call them in and take pictures.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Looking forward to the hunting story.

We love eating turkey but the wild ones myst be tougher meat than the farmed turkeys we consume here.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Paul Hoskins

Congratulations, pal. Pretty bird. Ugly guy. :D Over 80 years old myself & never had the luck of killing a wild turkey. :huh: Ate some that others killed. He cut the meat every which way on the bone & deep fried it. Still like chewing an old shoe top. My thoughts are deboning it & running it thru the electric meat grinder & mixing pork sausage with it along with sage, red pepper & Italian seasoning. That should kill the taste or at least improve it considerably. ......Turkey season starts here tomorrow. No prospects in the back yard for a week now. ......Paul H

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: