I need pictures of fish with the fish's weight.

Started by gitano, May 12, 2017, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

As some of you may know, I have been working feverishly on a mobile phone app that facilitates running fishing tournaments. Right now, we provide fish lengths with a precision of 1/100th of an inch. Soon we will be providing weights as well. Our weight algorithm is NOT based on length, so we need pictures of fish for which we KNOW the weight so we can build our algorithms.

A company called Digital Outdoor Holdings, has licensed my company's (Biopar) technology. I am fairly certain DOH would be willing to 'recompense' people for providing images of fish WITH WEIGHTS. To start with, probably an iCatchapp ballcap. If you get more "serious" about it, they will get more serious about the nature of their compensation.

For the next few months, the app is ONLY going to be for fishing tournaments. That said, today you can create your own 'tournament' for you and your buddies or kids to compete with each other over a weekend or something like that. This will allow you to get your fish's length "instantly" from the photo you upload. You can create this tournament on the phone or on the web page. You can see an ongoing YouTube tournament here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiGdsNCw0Ig. (There are over 2800 participants in that tournament.) You can go here: //www.icatchapp.com and review all of the tournaments that are ongoing, (there are A LOT of them), and see all of the catches that have been uploaded. People are catching some BIG bass!

In a few months, we will have functional capability for the app for "NTUs". (AKA non-tournament users.) When that capability is available, you will be able to use the app independent of a tournament and just upload pictures of fish and get their length and weights within seconds, and post the pictures to various places (THL for example).

I want to make sure that our members in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Europe, Scandinavia, and Great Britain, understand that they can 1) Create THEIR own tournaments, and 2) PARTICIPATE in any tournament that isn't geographically constrained. (We can do "geofencing", which means that if someone wants to conduct a tournament in a specific body of water, we can restrict uploads of catches to that specific body of water.) So for example, if Jorge in Oz wanted to set up a tournament for his family and friends IN AUSTRALIA, he could do that. If Jorge in Oz wanted to have an Australian THL Members tournament including himself, Branxhunter, Gryphon, 22hornet, kombi1976, and Fieldmor77, (can't recall any other Australian member names at the moment), he could set that up, and they wouldn't even have to be within hundreds of miles of each other to participate in the tournament.

Have a look at the YT video and the web-site and give me a call or send an email if you would like more info. If you have a question you think 'everyone' might be interested in, post it here, and I'll answer it for everyone. Also, if anyone has any questions at all, let me know - here or privately - and I'll see that you get the information.

We are about to make a major release, Version 2. When that happens, I will set up a THL fishing tournament open to all members of THL regardless of where you live.

SO... The sooner I get pictures of fish with weights, the sooner I will have weight models that are very accurate. Way, WAY more accurate than length-based models.

Paul

PS - It's available for iPhones (Apple) and Android phones. However, there are problems with older phones, both 'droid and Apple.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I can do the fish, I just need to get a scale to weigh them. It might warrant another trip to Missouri to get this for you. ;) As a side note, I was walking in the park behind my house yesterday and say 3 large mouth bass that all were over 15" about 3 feet from shore. I would be over there tonight after work but it's lightning here and I enjoy fishing entirely too much to die while doing it. I figure that death could put a serious crimp in my fishing time.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Marine fish any good as that is all that will be available for the foreseeable future?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Quote from: HunterbugI would be over there tonight after work but it's lightning here
Coward! (I'll tell you about me and fishing and lightning when I was young and stupid and 'lived' to fish'.) Rick's place is the perfect place to perform this 'research', but I can't get him or his kith and kin to do it! You indeed may have to go over there again and show him how it's done. ;) However, all the trout over in your neck of the woods would be great! I'll see if I can find a good scale to get in your hands. You're still the person (besides me and those paid to do it) that has added the most data to the database.

Marine fish are great! Just try to get as many samples of one species as you can. In other words, several flatfish; several sharks; several 'rockfish', etc.

So when I was in the Navy and finally out of school and not at sea, I was mighty 'hungry' for fishing and hunting. It had been a LONG dry spell since I joined the Navy, been through boot (12 weeks), been through Basic Electricity and Electronics school (6 weeks), Submarine Sonar A-1 school, (18 weeks), Sub School (8 weeks), and my first 'Deterrent Patrol" (90 days plus time before the patrol began). All tolled including 'hurry up and wait' intervals between schooling, about a year and a half. Like I said, I was hungry.

My barracks were about 200 yards from the Thames river bank. (This would be the South Carolina Thames river - pronounced THAYMS in SC, not "Timms" as in England.) I NEEDED to go fishing in a bad way. Now SC and Georgia have thunderstorms of Biblical proportions! I do not exaggerate. I have had to get off a road and wait for a storm to pass because it was raining so hard that my windshield wipers couldn't stay ahead of the rain and I literally could not see the front of my car, let alone the road.

Anyway, there was a culvert that jutted out into the river about 100 feet. I was standing at the end of this METAL culvert, a hundred feet or so out in the river, with an 8-ft fly-rod in my hands, in the middle of a torrential downpour, fishing for mullet. I'd been there maybe 10 minutes when lightning struck the transformer on the telephone pole back on shore that was RIGHT WHERE THE CULVERT I WAS STANDING ON CAME TO SHORE! First, unless you have had lightning strike very close to you, you can't appreciate the SOUND. It is TRULY deafening! I don't know why I didn't jump in the water at the 'blast'. Second, when there's that much electricity in the air, everything close by gets SOME jolt, even if not 'stunning'. There I was holding a lightning rod in my hand, out in the MIDDLE of a river, in the middle of a serious thunderstorm. EEDJIT! After the lightning struck the transformer, I figured it was time to 'go inside'...

Personally, I have no doubt that it was Divine intervention that 'selected' the transformer instead of the lightning rod standing on a metal platform 100' out in the middle of NOT deionized water. But, others will disagree. That's ok, 'cause I'm the one that was actually there.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: