Another "Silencer"/Suppressor Proposed Law

Started by gitano, July 07, 2017, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I can by a new rifle and many boxes of ear plugs for what the locals want for a "suppressor". Then there's the cleaning of it (or so I've been told/read) I vote "aye" but not really "for" me.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteI can by a new rifle and many boxes of ear plugs for what the locals want for a "suppressor".
EGGZACKLY!

And the reason for that is because of the federal regulations. In GB where suppressors are NOT regulated, "expensive" ones cost less than our CHEAPEST ones! And that's NOT including the $200 FEDERAL "Stamp" we have to buy FOR EVERY ONE WE PURCHASE. Furthermore, the owner of a suppressor is prohibited BY LAW from "repairing" their suppressor. You MUST return it to the manufacturer for "repair".

There is an INCREDIBLE amount of flat out BS spewed by American suppressor manufacturers. Some of it is associated with "cleaning requirements" and "how "difficult" my competitor's suppressor is to clean" vs "how easy the suppressor we make is to clean".

People that think suppressors make firearms "silent", or even "quiet", have obviously NEVER actually been even NEAR one. For a suppressed SUBsonic .22 RF, the report will be EASILY recognizable AND identifiable from AT LEAST 100 yards. For supersonic .22 RF much farther. For large 'magnum' cartridges, the suppression is almost useless. It 'helps' some, but you have to have a LARGE suppressor to suppress the muzzle report of a large-capacity cartridge to ANY reasonable degree.

There is also a LOT of voodoo associated with "baffle design". The bottom line to suppression is VOLUME. You have to have the volume in the suppressor to contain the expanding gasses produced by combustion of the powder. Baffle design is ALMOST, but not absolutely, immaterial.

When I view the firearms industry objectively, the only honest conclusion I can draw is that while there may be a couple of other industries in which the manufacturers and other professionals associated with it are more dishonest, there aren't very many. Bullet manufacturers flat out lied about "availability" during all of the panic buying after Obama was first elected. FLAT. OUT. LIED. They protest vigorously publically, but privately ADMIT that they could EASILY have met the demand after about the first 3 months. EVEN TODAY they CONTINUE to gouge the people that provide them with a living. As a result of the buying frenzy associated with Obama's first election, they LEARNED that THEY COULD REDUCE PRODUCTION THEREBY ARTIFICIALLY CREATING A SCARCITY THAT ALLOWS THEM TO CHARGE MORE FOR LESS PRODUCTION! Let me ask a rhetorical question: If you could REDUCE PRODUCTION saving LOTS of money, AND CHARGE MORE, creating more PROFIT, would you? Because that's PRECISELY what the ammunition manufacturers have done.

The ONLY gun-related item that has returned to "normal" after Obama's election is the price of AR-15s. They sky-rocketed, but have returned to 'reasonable' BECAUSE THE MARKET GOT FLOODED, AND RIFLES AREN'T "CONSUMABLES" LIKE BULLETS, POWDER, AND AMMUNITION ARE.

The firearms INDUSTRY is full of genuinely GREEDY, and fundamentally DISHONEST people. The suppressor and reloading industries PROVE this with NO ROOM FOR DOUBT.

I don't want A suppressor, I want SEVERAL of them.  Furthermore, I want to MAKE MY OWN so I don't have to be GOUGED by the GREEDY sons of bachelors that currently make them. I don't think this or ANY OTHER "suppressor legalization" bill will pass any time soon. These "things" - bills - have ONE function: They let politicians ACT like they are actually DOING SOMETHING. They pacify the masses that "believe in The System".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

QuoteIn GB where suppressors are NOT regulated
Not quite true they are treated as a 'firearm' to all intents and purposes i.e. there needs to be a 'slot' to acquire and then have to be recorded on the firearms certificate.

Having made many "silencers" I can assure you that -

1. baffle design is almost all pure voodoo as Paul would say - internal surface area is what is doing the gas cooling. A lot of current high price baffle designs as far as I can see actually have a negative effect on the cooling area, but they look good to the punter.

2. No real need to strip and clean a "silencer" I take it that you do not dismantle and clean the one on your car? The ability to clean one is only for the OCD sufferers out there - cleaning it only really helps with the gas erosion...

Most of my recent made 'mods' (UK term for silencer) have been of crimped and welded construction - I just do not get worked up about the internals any more. In fact a couple of my commercial acquisitions are no longer strip-able they are sealed and loctited.

A well made 'mod' really does not need to cost more than $150-$200 at the end of the day anything more is simply gouging.
We get gouged just the same here, just for a change not so bad as you guys, but still way over priced!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Alboy

Well for reasons to remain unstated I have tried this with a 22LR.  Completely non scientific in any way. I chose bottles with the pour  spout offset to one side to allow use of a scope. If accurate fire will  be required you will have to re-zero scope as shooting through the  bottle changes POI.

1. Quart oil plastic bottle. Reduced report but still noticeable. I would say by about half the volume.

2.  Gallon bleach bottle. Reduced to about same sound as a large hard bound  book dropped to a hard surface, still noticeable for any one listening  and for some distance.

3. Open a door on your house and back up  as far as possible, best if incorporating two rooms, and fire through  the open door. There was a party two doors down with reasonable music  volume (you could hold a conversation). Only one person heard the shot.  He was a Vietnam Vet and picked up on the supersonic crack of the bullet  but did not hear the shot fired.

None of the above is going to help at a range or with the constabulary that comes calling if someone sees your modifications.

Similar  quiet considerations are using 22 shorts or CB rounds that remain  subsonic and the longest barreled rifle you can get you hands on.  Actually quieter than a 22 pellet rifle approaching 850fps in my  opinion.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I have the 'silencing' figured out, AL. ;) It's the LEGAL aspects of it that concern me these days.

I hadn't thought about the offset spout on an oil bottle.:biggthumpup: There was a fellow making "adapters" for threaded barrel muzzles that would go from the 1/2-24 threads on the barrel to whatever the threads are on an oil filter. He sold them on Ebay as "cleaning patch traps". Uh hunh. Lotsa folks used them to attach oil filters and then shoot through them. No issues after the first shot. From what I see on YouTube, these contraptions worked pretty well. Of course, even a motorcycle oil filter will block open sights.

The reality is - in spite of the INCREDIBLE voodoo spewed in the US to the contrary - suppressing the muzzle blast of a firearm ain't "rocket science". It's really VERY straight forward. In the UK, one of the most popular suppressors has a "MSRP" of FIFTY DOLLARS! That's the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price! Nobody actually pays that much for them. The sons of bachelor manufacturers in the US charge TEN TIMES that figure for essentially the SAME device! That's one of the primary reasons I want to see the laws changed. Then any 'regular Joe' can make his own and the prices will PLUMMET. I can't believe the suppressor manufacturers in the US can look themselves in the mirror in the morning when they shave. They are the biggest snake-oil salesmen in the entire firearms industry, and there is no close second including Barnes Bullets!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Understood. Still when and IF government ever gets out of areas that "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" and we get to do things cause we have a reasonable reason life is just not going to improve.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: