300 WM testing

Started by sakorick, July 08, 2017, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

After reading up on the military's decision to adapt the 300 WM as our standard sniper rifle, I decided to replicate a tamed down version. I found some 30 cal Accubond Long Range 190 gr at the Nosler store on sale for $38 delivered for a box of 100 seconds. I picked up a pound of H1000 at Cabelas the other day for CC "points" so the powder was free. Alain helped me confirm some start-end loads so I went to work this morning and fired 2 groups at 100 yards, the first(1.8 MOA), 76 grains of H1000 with the bullet 50 thou off the lands. The 2nd group(1.6MOA) was better with 76.5 grains of powder 100 thou off the lands. The thing I liked about the 2d group was that the last 2 shots were touching. I quit as the temp was 85 degrees by 1000 Hrs. The thing that was interesting is the Sauer seems to like a big bullet jump. I think I own a Sauerby! With a BC of .640 these LR's seem to hold some promise. Of course, 50 degrees colder this Fall will probably change everything. I wish I can get this rifle to shoot as good as she looks!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

It will. That is a beautiful rifle, I'd use it if I absolutely HAD to. I've heard from other 300WM shooters that IMR7828 is a better powder for heavier bullets (180 - 200) and I believe them.

My 300RUM is still getting broke in. Three shots at 500 yds. :jumpingsmiley: :jumpingsmiley:

The wee bullet hole to the lower right is from my .243

I'm using imgur photo sharing now. :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

The snipers are using H1000 for a reason and that's why I'm trying it out.....they also shoot 220 Match Kings.

sakorick

I failed to mention that I ditched the Hornady dies and found my brother's (rest his soul) old Lyman All Americans. Gosh how can something that old be better than ever? What a thrill to have no problems just perfect functional performance.  I wished I had a set of these for every caliber I own.

JaDub

Good stuff Rick ! That is a beautiful rifle.

My god RJ , at 500 yards..........     I`m blind . :no:

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: