First Sunflower with guest

Started by sakorick, July 10, 2017, 06:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The first of many opened up this morning after only 53 days! Looks like I am going to have a good crop. Didn't take the bees long to find it!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

Here is a picture of the 3 acre field. This winter I will be planting Pollinator plots on both sides of the Sunflowers totaling another 2 Acres for a total of 5 acres. The Monarch Butterflies are of great concern here in the Midwest due to declining numbers. They require Milkweed to survive so Milkweed will be the cornerstone of the project.

branxhunter

Nice thick looking crop there Rick. I like your approach to farming the land.

Marcus

Paul Hoskins

Really nice, Rick. I like sunflowers. My bees all died or abandoned the hives several years ago. Still can't understand what happened. Not many bees around any more but they're making a comeback. Beautiful place you have.   .....Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;148305Really nice, Rick. I like sunflowers. My bees all died or abandoned the hives several years ago. Still can't understand what happened. Not many bees around any more but they're making a comeback. Beautiful place you have.   .....Paul H

As important as bees are you would think more should be done to find the answer.  I didn't realize they were making a comeback and that's good news!

sakorick

It's been 5 days since I took the picture of the 1 sunflower bloom with the Eastern Bumblebee on short final(above). 5 days later, 1/2 of the flowers are open with more every day. This is going to be a epic sunflower year and I don't think even hail could hurt them much now!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I'm thinking good dove hunting!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: