Sick Dog

Started by gitano, July 25, 2017, 12:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

My dog has been sick for the past four days. Yesterday he seemed to be getting better, but today he was much worse, so I took him to the vet this morning. He has a bad urinary tract infection. That's actually good news for two reasons: 1) There is an affirmative diagnosis based on actual data, and 2) he wasn't poisoned, which is what I feared. Only cost $480 to find out and get meds.:eek: I actually don't mind that fee TOO much for a few reasons: 1) like I said, we have an affirmative diagnosis and a treatment, 2) the doctor told me what the diagnostic options were with each associated cost BEFORE-HAND, and she was willing to do them "one at a time" to save money. I told her to do them all. 3) I was expecting $1000. Two x-rays (for blockage), blood-work (in-house) for systemic infection, and urinalysis (in-house) for urinary issues. I wish I didn't spend nearly $500 at the vet, but I don't feel like I got ripped off. THAT'S the surprise!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Very glad Phydeaux will be ok., Hate a sick dog.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I'm not 100% sure he will be OK. As a rule, dogs don't get 'sick' like we do. Usually when they get sick, they die. Same for horses and other domestic animals for the most part. (I know they DO get sick, and they DO get well, but MOSTLY, they get sick: they die.) A well-identified bacterial infection is "good" in this context, because it can actually be treated. Instead of "Well, we're not sure what it is. Make sure he gets plenty of water" etc. The vet didn't act as if there was any danger of death, but I'm not so optimistic. I know this dog, and he's in pretty bad shape. I think the next 24 hours will tell the tale.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Hope Tucker pulls through this...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

SmokeyJoe

Sorry to hear about this Paul. that vet bill would have been 2 or 3 times over here, not sure that's a plus point for you or not, but it's true all the same!

Not good that you feel he is really sick even though the diagnosis is "just" an infection. As you say, owners have the best idea about their dog's state of well being even if they can't find the causes (just as mothers have the best idea about their children, recent hospital experiences her re-affirmed this for the hundredth time for me!)

Have they told you they are 100% sure it is ONLY an infection, or have they left some leeway for other possibles? I assume they have run full bloods too, or only as regards infection?

Hope you see a perk up in him soon which would be the best indication they were right, but if not then I hope they get to work quickly looking for anything else it could be.

Do you have a picture of him?
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think".

"I would rather be somebody's shot of whiskey, than everybody's cup of tea."

"Give a small man power, and he'll show you how small he is."

Guns-Pencils.png

sakorick

I hope Tucker pulls through! He's a great pup.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Tucker made it through the night, and while I did not expect visible improvement from an antibiotic pill within 12 to 24 hours, I also didn't expect continued degradation. My biggest concern is dehydration. He has had only one small drink in the last 15 hours. I'm on the phone with the vet clinic right now. I asked if it wouldn't be a good idea to give him some fluids intravenously, and about the possibility of injectable antibiotics. The technician is 'checking'. The Vet that treated him yesterday is only "in" Mon and Tues, so the technician is checking with one of the other vets for 'recommendations".

SmokeyJoe - The Vet and technicians were actually very good. They did a complete blood panel, Results indicated an infection, (elevated white blood-cell count), but both liver and kidney functions were within specs. They took two x-rays: one dorsal and one lateral. No blockage and nothing out of the ordinary. (We walked through the x-rays together.) The telling tale was the urinalysis which unambiguously showed the infection. The nature of the infectious indicators was that the infection had not reached the kidneys.

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

My wife has been out of town for the past 10 days, and was landing in Anchorage this afternoon at 1330, so I dropped Tucker off at the vet on my way into town. They put in an IV for hydration and antibiotics. I spoke with them, and they agree that the big issue is mostly hydration. He seems to be otherwise "OK". I am more optimistic about his survival at this point.

Thanks for all of the good wishes.

Paul

PS - Adding insult to injury, my laptop is also 'ill', which means among other things that I don't have access (easily) to my pictures. When I get all of this squared away I'll post some pictures of Tucker.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Looks like Tucker is out of the woods. However, with all of the examinations and x-rays, they noticed an enlarged testicle. Looks like he's in for neutering as soon as he is well over the infection. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure he'll not even notice.

Thanks again.

Paul

PS - Computer still contaminated. I am going to take it to the 'doctor' today. Pictures when it gets 'out of the woods.'

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

branxhunter

Sounds promising Paul. Tucker is your little Scotty?

Marcus

gitano

Yup.

Here are the promised pictures:

As you can see, he's got a hard life. Never 'spoiled' a dog like I have this one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

SPOILED? DAWG? HAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!!

gasp pant wheeze.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

SmokeyJoe

I am not getting thread update alerts, will have to check settings.

That's one cute pooch you have there!! Can't beat a dog, what the hell is so interesting about cornflakes anyway? :D

I would be hesitant to follow the apparently quick jump to "neutering" straight from an enlarged testicle showing when the dog is unwell for as yet undetermined reasons (at least some uncertainties exist), certainly without a lot of careful thought and information (and not all of it from veterinary sources as they sing to one tune and one tune only and contrary to popular belief it isn't animal welfare as much as profit in my experience!).

Of course you know all of this Paul and will doubtless arm yourself with both sides of the equation, but just pointing out out that I would be even more determined than usual to research it.

I am perhaps disproportionately biassed the other way, as someone who has spent 20 years disagreeing with vets who are so keen to 'routinely' pull out a blade (or indeed anything else which they can charge for) to make a dog half a dog, and having dealt with many owners/dogs after they fell for that little routine money spinner over here. I appreciate this is not routine, and with raised white blood count there is perhaps more reason than usual to go with the idea. But for the same reasons I oppose the routine neutering, I would be very cautious even in this case I think. Not to say I wouldn't do it, but I would need a pretty solid weight of evidence to go ahead, certainly without assessing things after the current infection and issues are all cleared up.

As you said, the hydration sounds like the biggest real problem for him and no doubt caused him to feel sick as a dog. oops sorry :D
Hopefully a quick improvement at least in his lethargy etc if that's already been addressed?

Anyway, he looks a fine creature and hope this all gets cleared up (and understood) asap.

Martin
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think".

"I would rather be somebody's shot of whiskey, than everybody's cup of tea."

"Give a small man power, and he'll show you how small he is."

Guns-Pencils.png

gitano

Well, we only thought he was out of the woods. (Your points are well-taken, SmokeyJoe.) There was significant improvement yesterday, but degradation over night. This morning, uncontrollable shaking/shivering. Furthermore, ate and drank at least some yesterday and still no defecation. My thinking was "What they thought were gas bubbles were actually obstructions", so we took him 'back in'. More x-rays, and the clear conclusion was "no obstruction" - per se. However, the pros-tate (I have to misspell that in order to get it by the censor), is significantly enlarged, as is the one testicle. There's some conversation about the testicle from 'day one' that I won't belabor here, but suffice to say that the pros-tate and testicle issues aren't 'news'. The feeling is that the testicle is causing the enlarged pros-tate, which is in turn causing constriction of the colon. The constriction is visible on the x-rays. So... Neutering is 'on' for this afternoon, as is the associated $625 bill. ($160 for neutering "package".)

I'm in agreement with you Smokey-Joe with regard to "neuter-happy" vets. It's both a monetary advantage for them, AND they have convinced themselves, as a community, that neutering is "Right". (Funny how "Right thinking" is so often associated with PROFIT.) I am so tired of group-think ethics (in every walk of life), that it makes me want to spit. That said, I don't think that is the issue here AT ALL. I've seen all of the 'data', and it clearly points to neutering being the best course of action in Tucker's case. If I believed that neutering was "good idea" in general, Tucker wouldn't be 12 years old and still intact.

After this series of treatments, (including new IV antibiotic specifically for the pros-tate), there's not much left to 'address'. I therefore assume/hope, that this will take care of his health issues associated with the results of x-rays, blood tests, urinalyses, and surgery.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: