Milled 10/22 Range Report

Started by gitano, July 25, 2017, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Since I am finished with fiddling with the Contender .22 Hornet and subsonic loads, (at least for the time being), I thought I'd go back and refine the Milled 10/22 and check it out with some ammo other than the Aguila SSS. I planned to shoot:
1) Aquila SSS at a REAL 850 f/s,
2) Aguila Interceptor (no advertised MV),
3) CCI Mini Mag @ an advertised 1235 f/s,
4) CCI SubSonic LR @ an advertised 710 f/s, and
5) CCI Subsonic CB Short also @ an advertised 710 f/s.
However, the CB shorts do not feed from the 10/22 magazine, and I decided not to shoot the CCI Subsonic Long Rifles.

Here are my 'standard' Excel workups.
SSS

Always a flier.:Banghead:

Interceptor

Always a flier.:Banghead:

Mini Mag

Have to squint for a flier among these 5. The MiniMag has always shot well from my 10/22s.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The SSS would SO much better with the advertised 950 f/s MV. :(

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Mayhap the "milled 10/22" doesn't like Aguilla SSS's. Like my Nylon 11 only likes Federal HiPowers and the Ruger MKII only likes white box cheapy Winchesters  . . . .

Another conundrum da dum.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

The Milled 10/22 does in fact "like" the SSS. It shoots them well; usually MOST of the shots into about half an inch at 35 yd. The problem is the ammo, not the rifle. Just can't put together strings of 5 or more shots that don't have a flier.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Oh, I misunderstood (insert dottering old phart imogi here)

I'm beginning to think fliers are a part of life unless you have a $22,000 dollar handmade rifle and a $15,000 dollar scope in a climate controlled environment being fired by a laser guided C3P-O finger. Doesn't matter what the caliber is.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I 'hear' you, but "fliers" are an ammo issue, not a firearm issue. If a rifle can put several shots (more than 3 in a row), into a small group (regardless of range) and then 'throws' one every so often, the issue is the ammo, not the rifle. (Discounting "throwing" the first shot from a cold, clean barrel.) The bad news being that there's nothing you can do about bad RF ammo except grin a bear it. Firearms - good or bad - are pretty much a 'constant'. The most variable component of the rifle-ammo-shooter triad is the ammo. Even with hand-loads, one can't completely account for variability in the powder, and I'm not talking just about lot-to-lot variations. Problems commonly arise at the low and high pressure ends of the MV spectrum - low velocity/high velocity. This because you're playing on the 'edge' in both instances.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Yes, with the occasional Olde Phart jitter thrown in. Yes, with the occa . . . . . oh I already said that.

RJ

gitano

"Operator error" is less an issue when you are shooting at 35 yd and have a 20x scope on the rifle. If you are off-target by an INCH when you squeeze the trigger, you KNOW it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: