Dog Days

Started by sakorick, July 29, 2017, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Dogs aren't the only creatures uncomfortable in oppressive heat, so why does a dog get singled out in dog days? The dog here is actually the Dog Star, which is also called Sirius. The star has long been associated with sultry weather in the northern hemisphere because it rises simultaneously with the sun during the hottest days of summer. In the ancient Greek constellation system, this star (called Seirios in Greek) was considered the hound of the hunter Orion and was given the epithet Kyon, meaning "dog." The Greek writer Plutarch referred to the hot days of summer as hēmerai kynades (literally, "dog days"), and a Latin translation of this expression as dies caniculares is the source of our English phrase.

.....and I am getting tired of this dog!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

I'm not sure how hot is here in The Elk Hunting Capitol today, but it was too hot for a funeral.

Tears dried quickly though.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Are you getting antsy for the eclipe?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

OH BOY!!! This will be my second as i had a front row seat for the one in '78 when I lived in Miles City MT.  I can see why it was such a big deal for those who didnt understand what was happening. It's true that chickens return to roost :MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

It is also true that cattle return to the barn. Very funny.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was out on a job on a military base at the time of last one temperature drop and silence were noticeable - no farm animals around - actually only 'fitters' but they were roosting all day anyway...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

I found an excellent viewing location for the eclipse. The spot is on the Kansas City Trap Association grounds North of Smithville overlooking the lake. KCTA is closed on Mondays and the lady said we could set up anywhere we want. Total time of the eclipse is 2 mi 35 sec at Plattsburg which is essentially on the centerline. Total time at the KCTA is approximately 2 min and 25 sec. We are sacrificing 10 seconds for the remoteness and beauty of the KCTA hilltop which overlooks a 7200 acre lake. Station 9 at the number 1 skeet range is close to trees and should be a perfect spot. I have ordered a NDX variable eclipse filter for my Canon and should get some good pictures. The shaded area is the total eclipse shadow. Partial phase start will be 1148 and totality start will be at 1:06:51.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: