Ammo at Cabelas

Started by gitano, July 30, 2017, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I took my daughter and son-in-law to the airport to send them on their honeymoon to Australia, and while in Los Anchorage my wife did some biking and I stopped by Cabelas. I bought a box of Aguila .22 Magnum ammo and a brick (REAL brick of 500) Winchester "Match" .22 LR ammo for a total of $39.18. :D $11.95 for the 50 rounds of .22 Win Mag, and $27.34 for the brick of RF ammo. Of course, that includes a 5% military/veteran discount, but still... 5% of 40 is 2, so even without the discount it was only $2 more. Anyway, I'm pleased.

There's a picture of the Aguila and Winchester ammo at the end of the post. MV is supposed to 1150 f/s. That's very close to the speed of sound ~1120 f/s. Might be quiet and MAYBE even 'accurate'. The Aquila ammo has a 40-grain bullet and advertised MV 1875 f/s with a 40-grain bullet. Most other ammo-makers are advertising 2000 or 2200 with 30 grain bullets. In general I wouldn't care much about the extra 200 f/s, but since the Aquila ammo is just over half the price of the Hornady ammo, I really don't care.

I don't have a firearm chambered in .22 Win Mag, but...  I DO have inserts for my rifles chambered in .223 Rem, that allow me to shoot the WMR ammo in the .223 Rem-chambered rifle. :D Furthermore, there's a fellow that lives in Anchorage, that makes these inserts (see here: http://www.mcace.com/) for $35 + S&H. (They were $25 when I bought the .223 Rem inserts just a couple of years ago. :mad: And, I don't pay the S&H when I pick them up.) I asked him about .22 Hornet inserts today, but he says the last batch he got came back "split" from the users. I think I may try my hand at making my own. J0e_bl0ggs says he tried and there wasn't enough 'meat' up at the neck of the Hornet. I might cast my rifle's chamber and make the neck of the insert be a 'close' fit in hopes of being able to 'make it work'. But, if j0e_bl0ggs can't do it, I probably can't either. That doesn't mean I won't try though. ;)

I'm keen on shooting those Winchesters out of the Anschutz match rifle to see how well they shoot, AND to see how "quiet" they are even though the advertised MV is supersonic.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Good grab! I've never seen an insert close up and was wondering how they shoot.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was wonderin' if they split....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I tried the Winchesters for "loudness", and 1) They are definitely supersonic at my place, and 2) They are about 20 dB louder than the Aguila SSSs. Most of the extra loudness is due to the supersonic 'crack'. I know this because I measured them in reference to the SSS, AND because the operation of the action is right about 50 dB (relative). The 10/22 action is louder than the SSS. Therefore, the additional loudness of the Winchester has to be mostly due to the 'crack'.

I didn't shoot at targets so I don't have any precision info at the moment. I also didn't shoot over a chrono, so no velocity data either. That will come sometime this week.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: