Odd grey squirrels

Started by Paul Hoskins, August 31, 2017, 01:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

There has been an odd colored grey squirrel hanging around the feeding station this year.  Today there was two of them. Both have red bellies. Possibly littermates. One is obviously a female. I have seen them with light grey bellies but these are the only ones I've seen with red bellies. Several years ago there was a pibald fox squirrel hanging around. These two squirrels are very skittish. Most of the regular grey's will stay put when I go outside. Not this pair. The pictures look blurry to me but everything else does too.  .......Paul H

recoil junky

Not sure what they have in town, but they look like those and they have a "redish" or "orange" belly too . . . . . maybe?
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Not sure what's going on, Paul. Those look more "grey" than "fox", but difficult to tell. I've never heard of greys and foxes interbreeding, but I suppose it might happen under the 'right' circumstances.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I have never heard of squirrels interbreeding between species either. These squirrels "look" like grey squirrels in every way except being slightly darker in color & the rust red belly instead of the normal white.  Fox squirrels have a light orange belly. Much lighter in color than these two. I do know canines will interbreed but not cats to my knowledge.  Once had a grey fox/dog mix. Beautiful little animal with both fox & dog traits. Looked & acted more fox than dog. Silent trailer but barked in the hole but only barked once when treed.  Gun shy & would disappear for two or three days if you fired a gun around her. ......Paul H

Tags: