Should Be a Lifetime's Supply

Started by gitano, September 01, 2017, 08:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

of .22 RF ammo considering that I am 66 and there aren't any little critters to shoot around here like squirrels - ground or tree - and darn few 'rabbits' and foxes.

I told my wife the "lifetime's supply" bit, but quickly added; "That doesn't mean I won't be buying more .22 RF ammo. I'm sure I'll still need to get specialty kinds." :D

Cabelas was having a 5% sale on ammo and firearms today, and I was in town to pick up my Mauser bolt action 28 ga, so I stopped by looking for the Remington subsonic ammo which shoots VERY well from the new CZ 455. No joy there, but they had an AMAZING variety of .22 RF ammo OTHERWISE :angry: I bought a brick of Norma Subsonic ($86 before 5% sale), and a brick of "CI" (made in the Philippines), for $27 before the 5%. (Also got 5% Vet discount.) Went to an ammo specialty store in the "industrial" part of Anchorage, and found a new 'toy store'! :jumpingsmiley: They had Aguila SSS bricks ($80 - no discount), and talked me into a box of 50 of Sellier and Bellot Subsonics. ($6) They told me that if the S&B ammo worked out, they were selling cases - 5000 rounds - for "a good price". I figured I'd try a box and if they shoot well, I could get a brick or so.

So today, I bought 2550 rounds of .22 RF ammo for $188. That turns out to be 7.3 cents a piece. Not too bad. The CI stuff was about a nickel a round, and the Norma stuff was just over 16 cents a piece. (I hope the Norma stuff shoots commensurate with it's price.) Plus I have about 2000 rounds or so in the house. All tolled, I should have something north of 5000 rounds. Like I said, probably a lifetime's supply. But... I still need a brick of the Remington Subsonic. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, buying ammo is like buying a gun. No excuse for it is needed.  :greentongue:On a few occasions & have found a single cartridge & bought or made up a gun to shoot it. I have bought ammo when I didn't even have a gun to shoot it in. Those prices  seem obscene to me. When I was a kid I bought "high velocity" 22 RF ammo for 35 cents a box of 50. If I didn't have 35 cents I could buy them for a penny apiece. .....Paul H

Tags: