bi pods........ what brand ?

Started by JaDub, September 19, 2017, 02:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Finally decided to add a set of bipods to the 7mm. What do you recommend ??

Harris seems to be the leader.......... S 25-C looks like a winner to me.

Amazon  $111 with free shipping.

JaDub

Harris arrived today.  Had it attached  in minutes.  On to the range tomorrow.

recoil junky

Not sure what mine is, but it wasn't $100. Harris are as good as it gets tho. Be careful you don't change you point of impact using the bipod. It usually makes you shoot higher if you have any barrel/stock contact at all I can guarantee it will.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

Thanks for the advice. Heading to the range tomorrow.

Hunterbug

I have the Harris, don't remember the model. It works great on my 338.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Just for the reason you mention, RJ, I often wondered why bipod manufacturers didn't make a 'pod that attached at the barrel/receiver joint. Of course the initial reason for being "up front" is that attachment to the sling post was easy. However, now that 'pods are "old technology", I don't see why "someone" hasn't made a 'pod capable of attaching to the rifle at the barrel/receiver joint. "Looks" CAN NOT be the reason!!!!!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3165163370/atlas-bt46-lw17-psr-bipod-1913-picatinny-rail-mount-aluminum-black

At that price, why not get half a dozen of them! However, since this attaches to the picatinny rail (say "AR-15"), it CAN be attached back at the receiver. HOWEVER, on a free-floated AR, "up front" doesn't matter because the hand-guard is WAY off of the barrel.

Paul

PS - Better get one of these too! https://www.midwayusa.com/product/915342/rugged-ridge-outdoor-gear-extreme-rear-support-system-aluminum-black IN FACT... No ETHICAL shooter would go into the field without one of these, thereby INSURING an "ETHICAL" and "HUMANE" kill.:sarcoff:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to the use of bipods for hunting, (or even the above "rear support"). In fact, I have bipods, two-legged "shooting sticks" and even "monopods". What I'm opposed to are the OUTRAGEOUS prices and emotional blackmail associated with their SALE and MARKETING.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

jaeger88

Paul, Ive used rifles ( air rifles mostly ) with bi pods mounted back towards the center of the rifle, & I personally dont like them mounted there.

The reason being, that basically, the rifle pivots on the bi pod, & the further towards the center of the rifle from the muzzle, this pivot point is, the more pronounced will be any rotational  movement transmitted to the muzzle.

Therefore, if the bi pod is mounted dead center of the rifle, a 1/2" movement at the butt plate becomes a 1/2" movement at the muzzle.

If the bi pod is mounted 1/4 of the length of the rifle from the muzzle, a 1/2" movement at the butt translates to 1/8" movement at the muzzle.

All this though is completely off the top of my head & not calculated.  Just trying to think back to stuff I did at School & College with these figures, & "moment arms", but to do with movement of the arm, not force's applied.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the closer to the center of the rifle the bi pod is mounted, the more the muzzle waves about, & the more difficult I find it to keep on target.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

Paul Hoskins

[I have never used a bi-pod but use shooting sticks a lot. For 519 dollars I could buy a truckload of cheap camera tri-pods & make my own bi-pods that would be just as good as a 519 dollar bi-pod. :eek: That price is obscene to say the least. Just think of all the  reloading components you could buy with that money. .....Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;149079[I have never used a bi-pod but use shooting sticks a lot. For 519 dollars I could buy a truckload of cheap camera tri-pods & make my own bi-pods that would be just as good as a 519 dollar bi-pod. :eek: That price is obscene to say the least. Just think of all the  reloading components you could buy with that money. .....Paul H

No kidding Paul...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I 'hear ya' Jaeger88, with respect to the fulcrum point.

Out of habit, I see everything through the eyes of a big game hunter, not a target or varmint shooter. The reason I would use a bipod in the BIG GAME hunting field is because I couldn't find a suitable rest upon which to place the rifle. Therefore, ANY 'support' would be an improvement over off-hand shooting, as long as it didn't effect the PoI. At the target bench, or out shooting prairie dogs or 'called in' vermin, is an entirely different matter. One in which resting the rifle at the balance point (or near it), would have the exact result you mention. That said, when I am setting up my rifle at the bench, I set the front rest as close to the receiver as I reasonably can. This is one 'complaint' I have about Lead Sleds in their various incarnations: The front rest is too far forward. That front rest has an impact on PoI unless the barrel is free-floated from the front of the forearm to the receiver. OR if there is slight upward pressure already applied to the barrel by the end of the forearm.

Honestly, this is not too big a deal to me, as I only very rarely use a bipod or even shooting sticks. Both are too cumbersome to me. Where I most frequently hunt, I don't often find myself at a loss for a 'rest'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Just got back from the range this morning. The Rem 7mm 3 shot group was within 1/2" at 100 yds. Bipod addition made no difference, thankfully.

I shoot on some pretty open ground with nothing but a foot and a half of sage brush growing up . Last time out I shot off of one knee, and at 300 yards, was not happy with the sight picture....... nor was I happy about my glasses fogging over at 15 degrees below zero. :mad:
Can`t control the weather but I decided to add the bipods this year, and a bit of anti-fog on the glasses this year too.

Now, if I could only find a pair of fresher legs.......... :p

recoil junky

That great!! The first rifle I put mine (Champion) on shot 1 1/2 high n to the right.

New legs? PFFFFT! Contact lenses don't fog over. :sweetheart: Missed the elk of a lifetime due to fogged over glasses, had new contacts the next weekend, that was over 30 years ago. Nothing to it nowadays.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

I put mine waaay out here. The McMillan M40 came with dual studs. Those short sticks work great too as do the taller ones seen here:

RJ

Tags: