Update on granny's babies

Started by Paul Hoskins, October 15, 2017, 02:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

They're growing up fast now. Once in a while I see the girl nursing but granny gives the boy a knee if he tries it. They're daily visitors & sometimes several times a day. Granny is putting on weight again & doesn't look boney. She appears to be having some trouble with her back legs now. The girl is much like granny in disposition & personality but the boy is a nosy punk & into something almost all the time. He prowls the back yard & garden spot, the neighbors lawn, patio  & everything else he thinks about. He draws the little  girl into his nefarious plots too. A few days ago he decided to prune the neighbor lady's shrubbery & flowers around the back of the house & check out the patio furniture. After nibbling on flowers & shrubbery they decided to check out the front of the house to see if there was more flowers to eat. Apparently they enjoyed watching cars zipping by at 60 MPH. I finally went out front & yelled at them. They reluctantly went back to granny. When they tire of prowling & plundering they find a shady spot & lay down while granny eats. I have no idea why they're so fascinated with the stump of a huge maple I had cut down beside the house. .......Paul H

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Yep, very happy!

We had a muley doe we called "Split Ear" :rolleyes: that was around for several years and raised her babies close to the house. She was quite gray around the muzzle and pretty gimpy the last time I saw her. She would bring her brood in daily to eat with equines and get the dribbles of grain and hay left behind.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Granny was 5 years old in June. Pretty old for a deer around here. These two babies make nine babies she's had. The girl baby she had last June is still here & has a baby of her own. Haven't seen the boy she had since late last summer. The baby male deer are usually ornery & into all sorts of trouble. The boy she has now is no different. Back in Aug. while they were having a snack around noon, the boy wandered up in the garden & the tomatoes. Granny watched & when he had gone thru the row of corn she must have said something to him. He stopped & listened intently. Granny left the corn bowl & walked up to him. Apparently she was telling him about the wire around the tomatoes with fluorescent ribbons all over it. She went back to her corn bowl & he went directly to the tomatoes & reached over the wire for a green tomato. I could see at least 4 feet of space between his feet & the ground. He went back to granny. Odd how 60,000 volts can make something jump like that & not even squat down to jump. :eek: Wouldn't surprise me if he went swimming in the neighbor's pool. ......Paul H

Tags: