2017 Deer hunt diary

Started by sakorick, November 07, 2017, 03:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

DAY 1. Paul arrived this morning Tuesday 11-7, at 0230 from Duluth. We had a quick one hour visit and back to bed!

I'm up and showered at 0630. Rich from the NRCS(Natural Resources Conservation Service) will be here at 0800 to inspect my proposed edge feathering locations. This is important as government cost sharing is involved. Eric and Paul are still sawing logs!

Eric left for home at 1230 and Paul and I took a much deserved nap. We repaired 3 tire leaks and took a quick tour of the stands. This is what was decided for opening day......in the morning, Paul will sit in the new West stand and I will sit in Evan's stand. see picture.

Went to the church soup supper and in bed at 2200. Need to return Paul's rental in KC tomorrow. Plan on lunch at Kansas City Joes award winning BBQ joint! Day one comes to a close.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Day 2. Up and at 'um at 0500. We will leave at 0700 and go to the airport to turn Paul's car in. Then off to cabelas then on to Kansas City Joes BBQ for lunch. KC Joes is on the list of the 10 places you must eat at before you die!.

Got back to the farm at 1500. Got the wood stove going, watched the news, ate Venison Chili and went to bed. End day 2.

sakorick

Day 3. Up at 0600 and have a big day of planned rest! It's just 2 days until opening day and we are leaning forward in the foxhole. We are going to move guns and ammo to our stands today and take some yardage checks.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

What guns are everyone shooting? I can't wait to see more pictures.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I'm shooting the .338 MAI that Ol' John made for me - Hornady and Accubond 225s. The Hornady ahead of RS-Hunter, and the AB ahead of RL-17. Both producing right about 2550 f/s at the muzzle. I checked the scope here at Ricks. The Hornady is 2" high at 100, the AB is right on at 100. I'll probably chamber the AB first, but I'm still undecided. (The 1.5" left for the Hornady is operator error. It's a VERY light set trigger.)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Day 4. Evan is shooting his Mossberg Youth .243 with 100 gr Pro Hunter and I am shooting my 1952 Steyr 30-'06 with 180 grain Pro Hunter. We are less than 24 hours away from startex. Stands are ready guns all sighted in and ammo reloaded.

sakorick

Opening morning. Day 4. Paul and I got up at 0500 made coffee and were in the stands at 0600, 0624 being shooting time. At 0650 my season ended with a nice 9 pointer. Paul will be in the West stand pretty much the rest of the day. He has seen several scrubs but not the big boy yet. I gutted my buck and waiting for Eric to load him(0845). I have to take him to the CWD check station after that. More pictures to follow as the story unfolds. Knife courtesy of  jaeger88!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

That is cool!
Seriously pleased for you!

Man, what a short season...26 mins!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I might as well post some pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Cool, now where is your buck?
Turvey Stalking

branxhunter

Nicely done Rick. Good looking Buck and rfile.

Marcus

sakorick

Afternoon Day4. My grandson Evan scored his first buck about 1400, a fine 8 point buck. 10 years old too!......it runs in the family. Paul has seen many deer but no shooters yet......it's only a matter of time.

Tags: