Cheap heat

Started by sakorick, January 25, 2018, 12:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I jumped on the Big Country and Bela and Missy came along and headed for my stash of Pin Oak. I cut these 3 trees down as they were crowding out the shooting lane in Paul's old favorite stand. I got a weeks worth of heat cut, split and stacked in 1 hr and 15 minutes......got a good workout too! I like Pin Oak for several reasons. It's easy to light, easy to split, burns slow and hot, logs up to 10 inches are my over-nighters and they leave little ash. I moved 1/2 the load into the sunroom 6 or 8 steps from the door of the Quadrafire.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Were those trees alive? The reason I ask is in the context of moisture content. Just curious.

Looks like really nice weather! Snowing here.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;150008Were those trees alive? The reason I ask is in the context of moisture content. Just curious.

Looks like really nice weather! Snowing here.

Paul

Not alive! Cut them down 18 months ago. After you loaded my buck in the Big Country we drove right past them just west of the pond dam.

gitano

Ah. So... they won't be humidifying your house. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

That's for sure. I keep a 2 gallon steel pot on the top and the steam is all the humidity I get. Right now it's 30%.....like to keep it at 50%.

Hunterbug

A man who chops his own wood is twice warmed.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;150023A man who chops his own wood is twice warmed.

I figure 4 times

1. chop the tree down.
2. cut it up.
3. Split the wood.
4. Move it to your porch

gitano

That would be five times...

You're gonna burn it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

None of them look happy. Do you suppose they all realized that they just killed something 2000 years old? I wood say 95% of the wood I use for firewood is deadfall ready to split and burn.

Paul Hoskins

Amazing how much the fellow on the ground looks like my grandfather. He never cut wood. All he ever did was dig coal after getting out of the US Calvary. ......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Amazing how they did that with a pair of hand saws cobbled together and a bunch of wedges...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: