May have to put a window in my garage man-door

Started by gitano, March 12, 2018, 09:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I was working in my "metal shop" (AKA my garage), on a new firearm project and had wrapped up and was heading back to my house. I opened the door and both of us were surprised - Me AND the young bull moose! If the door had swung out instead of in, it would have hit him in the butt! Fortunately for me, it wasn't a cow. Had it been, I am 100% certain that I would have been kicked. Especially  this time of year, cow moose are even more ornery than usual.

There is only one window in my garage. I don't like people being able to look into where I keep 'stuff'. I don't want to put a window in my garage man-door. While this was the closest 'call' I've had with a moose at my garage door, it wasn't the first. It did occur to me though, that a "peep hole" would accomplish all I needed. AND... A peep-hole would be cheaper and easier to install!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Still all in all a cool event with a happy ending......install the peep.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

The little bull, (last year's calf, about 10 months old), didn't run far. Not more than 5 body-lengths at the most. He fails to understand what kind of danger he is in. :) He's safe for the time being. (Unless he kicks me, then I'll kill him.) But his cavalier attitude is going to get him in trouble come next fall.

This is a picture of this bull a week or so ago. You can see the garage door out of which I was coming when we "met". He was standing with his butt about a foot from the door.

Here are some other pictures of him taken the same day.

And here are some pictures of him with his sister and mother this past summer. I am pretty sure this is the same little bull. His sister has been hanging around here lately too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Yeah, what Rick said. That is some mighty good moose roast & stew. Muffin would have forced  me to shoot it. Moose is the only wild game meat she will eat. She would probably kill it herself. .:D......Paul H

gitano

I don't think I could have gotten more than 100 lb of meat off of that guy. MAX. This is the worst time of year to shoot a moose. They essentially haven't had anything to eat for 4 to 5 months. (The tree branches they eat have no nutritional value. They simply fill the gut and keep the fermentation 'engine' working in the four stomachs.) While this little guy looks 'good', (and IS; he's in great shape for a 10-month-old), the fact is there is A LOT of HAIR, and bone in what you are looking at. His sister looks about 'right' - skinny - for a first-year moose at the end of winter. Both will double their weight at least over the coming summer.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

JaDub

Tags: