Started by gitano, March 24, 2018, 10:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

This morning I called

Trinity Mission Health and Rehabilitation
615 Falton Avenue,
Comfort, TX 78013
PH: (830)995 3747

to check up on Ol' John, (AKA Hondo John, and LLano John), one of the "Charter Members" of THL. He is also the fellow that steered me here to THL (back in '04 IIRC), and a dear friend of mine.

John had a stroke a few years back and has been in the above facility since. The really good news is that John is still alive and kicking! :biggthumpup: However, he has a difficult time speaking, and therefore communicating. I spoke with the "head nurse", and she said he doesn't particularly care for written communications even when someone reads them to him. He, of course, prefers face-to-face. (I told her it was difficult to get there from Alaska.) She suggested some sort of video communication, as he "likes to watch TV". So...

I was thinking that maybe we here at THL could orchestrate some form of joint YouTube video to John. If we can pull it off, I would make sure the caregivers at this place played it for him. THL - and I - owe a lot to John.

What I am envisioning at the moment is that each of us that are interested could make a short video to John. (On YT or not.) I would then splice each of them together into one, put them on a DVD and send it to him. (Of course, anyone that wanted to send their own video to John is encouraged to!) I'm thinking that extractions of threads on THL would provide a subject to 'discuss'. (I know he would LOVE to see some stuff from Australia or Canada or Great Britain, or any place 'foreign' to a Texan!) If you need help figuring out a way to make a video, I, (or someone), will post some instructions in the "Practice" or "Reference" location. Wherever it gets posted, I'll put the link in this thread.

It is my understanding that John's mind is fine, he's just 'trapped' in his body, unable to speak very well. That's a tough row to hoe.

At the moment, I'm not exactly sure how this will be facilitated, but I'll work on the idea and post details here, as I gather them. "You" do the same, and let "us" know here in this thread if you have any ideas.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I would gladly "post" a little "I'm thinking of you" video. I know it would cheer him up!!

I wonder (because I don't know) if "we " could email you the short videos and you could put them together and someone with a laptop could open his THL account and he could watch them that way?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Right up to when you said "someone with a laptop..." we were on the same page. Problem is, I don't get the impression that watching something on a computer is much of an option. However, the nurse attendant told me that if he got a DVD he could "watch it on TV". I think, at least for the first iteration or two, that we should stick with "simple". And while what you suggested, (kinda what I was thinking too before I spoke with the staff there), does indeed sound 'simple', I get the impression that we need to be even simpler.

If "y'all" will send me your clips, or post them here, I will collate them and send them to John on a DVD. However, "you" can do the same yourselves, simply using the above address. (Just make sure it says something like "FOR John Talley" on it.)

It is my intent to keep the first effort modest. If that 'works', we can start sending him more involved/longer videos.

I was thinking that even though the staffer said he doesn't like to "read" or have things read to him, I bet he would appreciate a 'greeting card' that simply said something like "Hey John, We were thinking about you." would brighten his day.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

mountainbiker

Just wanted you guys to know that my cousin John Tally aka LlanoJohn passed away this morning 10/29/2020.

Andy

Jamie.270

:angel:

Godspeed and Happy Trails John.  :(
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: