paul's action

Started by sakorick, March 31, 2018, 10:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

So, Paul and I swapped actions as I was looking for a M95/96 to build Evan's new deer rifle....a 6.5-55 sporter. When I got home from AK I just parked it in the basement. Well after Evan's 3 deer 4 shot performance I broke out the Ludwig and Lowe and started a plan. But first, I just had to find out what the double L/C cartouche was all about as I had never seen one(and I thought I had seen them all). So I went to the Mauser forum and asked the ?....What is this thing. Then I found out that it was a rare commercial variant and only 10,000 were produced, and that was 123 years ago! So this nice fellow PM'd me and said that he would like to trade actions and he had a nice M93/95 that he would drill and tap for me if I would trade. Well that was an easy decision! The another fellow PM'd me and said he had a brand new 6.5 MM Short Mauser small thread barrel in the white for $130 delivered.....another easy decision. So, in summary, the bolt is being bent, I have a complete barreled action D&T for 2 piece mounts and a Timney trigger somewhere in hiding. I'll get my buddy Skaggs to set the headspace and slap the works in a Boyds thumbhole stock and Evan will be the proud owner of a custom 6.5-55 SM for deer hunting this fall. Another happy ending.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

The barrel arrived. 24" one in 8 twist and looks great. These were made for the long heavy bullets 140 to 160 grain with a real fast twist. I found a load that I have used in the past....48 gr RL 22 gives a MV of 2720'/sec. And the Nosler 140 BT/ Accubond  has a BC of .509. Should be dynomite on WTD.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, you were always a lucky dawg. :MOGRIN:I have two 96's in 6.5 & a '95 in 7x57. One 96 has been butchered by some clod but the barrel & action look almost new BUT the :cens: cut the barrel to 17.5 inches & had it crowned with an 11 degree, so called target crown. :mad: Reason enough to legalize abortion in his case. ......Paul H

sakorick

I'm not the lucky one.....Evan is!!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;150460Rick, you were always a lucky dawg. :MOGRIN:I have two 96's in 6.5 & a '95 in 7x57. One 96 has been butchered by some clod but the barrel & action look almost new BUT the :cens: cut the barrel to 17.5 inches & had it crowned with an 11 degree, so called target crown. :mad: Reason enough to legalize abortion in his case. ......Paul H

:MOGRIN::MOGRIN::MOGRIN:
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

Looks nice, Rick. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

What's the status of this project, Rick?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;151567What's the status of this project, Rick?

Paul

Waiting to be blued.....all the metal work is done. Ev picked out the stock and it is ready

gitano

:biggthumpup:

Is it at the "bluer's"?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;151578:biggthumpup:

Is it at the "bluer's"?

Paul
Yes, Mark Skaggs. He say it will be shipped soon.

Tags: