First Range Report 2018

Started by sakorick, April 21, 2018, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

1911 Colt National Match, 20 yards, 4 grains Bullseye, 200 Grain Wad Cutter. This is one of Bill's tgt loads, pretty much in a 4 inch circle. Zombies better stay clear but I do need some more practice.....Brass in the tumbler.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

20 yards is a LONG way for pistol shooting. As such, not a bad group really. In my opinion, pistol practice is way, WAY, more important to good shooting than practice with a rifle is. But before I get "argued", one has to define one's application when opining about what is "more" than something else.

Funny thing for me and handgun shooting. I'm a mediocre, at best, pistol shot when shooting at paper. However, when I have hunted with a handgun (mostly as a kid with a Ruger Mark I), I never missed a critter I was shooting at. Of course, the rational explanation for that is that "hit" an animal is different that "hit" the bullseye. BUT... That's kind of my point. If you're not competing for money, good enough to "hit/kill your target", is GOOD ENOUGH.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;15060820 yards is a LONG way for pistol shooting. As such, not a bad group really. In my opinion, pistol practice is way, WAY, more important to good shooting than practice with a rifle is. But before I get "argued", one has to define one's application when opining about what is "more" than something else.

Funny thing for me and handgun shooting. I'm a mediocre, at best, pistol shot when shooting at paper. However, when I have hunted with a handgun (mostly as a kid with a Ruger Mark I), I never missed a critter I was shooting at. Of course, the rational explanation for that is that "hit" an animal is different that "hit" the bullseye. BUT... That's kind of my point. If you're not competing for money, good enough to "hit/kill your target", is GOOD ENOUGH.

Paul

Back in the day when I could check out my Remington Rand at the arms room with 100 shells to practice.....I got pretty good. These days, I'm mediocre at best. And I agree that good enough is plenty good!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Bill Thibeault

20 yards is not a long bullseye pistol shot.  In the official Service Pistol National Match Course, 30 rounds of .45 ball ammo are fired from a single hand, unsupported position.  Ten rounds slow fire (10 shots in 10 minutes) at 50 yards, ten rounds timed fire (two five round strings, each shot in 20 seconds) at 25 yards, and ten rounds rapid fire (two five round strings, each shot in ten seconds) at 25 yards.  Max score=300.  High Master shooters will usually shoot a 290+.  I'm not one of those.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

gitano

Most of the "stuff" I see with pistols is 8 to 12 yards. But I have never shot, or even watched, any military pistol competitions. All I have seen are cop matches. Never seen one of those even 25 yards in distance.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

All our pistol stuff was at 25/30 yards.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Clearly I hung around the wrong crowd. Don't even think I'm joking.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Never shot hand guns much. If it doesn't have a scope so I can pinpoint my shots, I don't have much interest in it. I like playing around with my ML pistol from time to time but now I have trouble seeing the sights. My ML pistol shoots MUCH better than I can hold. Good shooting, Rick.   .......Paul H

Tags: