If you were a Robin...

Started by sakorick, May 09, 2018, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

...would you build a nest here?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I don't see a robin nest. Are you asking if 'we' think a robin might build one here? If so, "No".

As a rule, they like 1) "ledges" - the most common is the "ledge" formed by a large branch (2"+ diameter), with the trunk of a tree, but they LOVE man-made ledges under eaves, and 2) they PREFER (but there can be exceptions), about 10 to 14 feet off of the ground. That planter is not high enough off of the ground, and not really a "ledge".

If you want to encourage a pair of robins to nest near you, put a platform (6x8 inches or so) about 6 inches UNDER the eave of your roof. If they're around, they'll use it. Robins (American robins, Turdus migratorius) are NOT ground-nesters.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Take a look at this......

gitano

I expected a "gotcha", but my above comments remain as 'generally'. HOWEVER... have you actually  SEEN these birds. Those are classic "robin's egg blue" eggs, and it appears to be about the right size, BUT... 1) robins ALMOST always line their nests with mud. No mud there, and 2) There are other birds that have similarly-colored eggs. That said, if you've seen the robins coming to the nest, then robins it is! Certainly MOST of the characteristics are there. And the corner of that planter IS a 'ledge' of sorts.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

We had one that build a nest on our porch light. It appeared almost over night. I don't know if she got around to laying any eggs in it. Our constant going in and out disturbed her enough that she abandoned it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

If I would not have seen him/her jump down, I would have never seen that nest! I have been watching a female Eastern Phoebe and a 2 pairs of Bluebirds on the boxes in the last 15 minutes. I also have a new nest on the back deck cover.The Hummers are feeding, The Goslings are gone and I have birds everywhere! No Tree Swallows!

Paul Hoskins

Robins generally use a lot of mud when bulding a nest. If they build on your porch you will find lots of nasty stuff on the porch if they build there. They used to TRY building on my front porch but I kept tearing the nest up. Like Paul said, a small ledge under the eaves out away from the porch solved the problem. One small lag bolt holds the ledge to the brick. In the picture, mama is feeding the young. They had three babies this time. The babies bailed out of the nest today. Rick, the nest doesn't look like something a robin builds. It looks too clean. .......Paul H

sakorick

gitano

I believe it's a robin. I've just never seen one that wasn't mud-lined. Maybe those Missouri robins are more fastidious than the Alaskan or Kentucky robins. ;D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: