Spring Growth in My Yard

Started by gitano, May 22, 2018, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Every spring after the leaves have finally come out, I stroll around my yard with my camera and record the progress of plant growth. I did that yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised to see A TON of red currant bushes, all in flower. Easily 10 times as many as I have seen in the past. My "Paul Currantseed" (ala Johnny Appleseed) efforts have finally paid off! There were only two, wild, red currant bushes in my yard 3 years ago. And they barely produced a handful of berries. However, eschewing the temptation to eat the berrys, I put them in my mouth, "squashed" them with my tongue, 'extracted' the pulp and juice, and spit the seed 'around the yard'. FINALLY, the fruits (literally) of that labor have been born! If nothing bad happens weatherwise this summer, we should have at least a gallon, and maybe two, of wild red currants!

Here are some pictures of the plants and flowers.

This is a whole currant bush.

And here are a bunch of pictures of the flowers. They are only about a quarter of an inch wide.

There are other plants growing!

Here are some unopened gooseberry blossoms:

And some very disappointing gooseberries I bought on line:

And of course, the rhubarb that grows LIKE CRAZY! My kind of plant! You don't have to 'baby' these things!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: