Missouri Deer Summer Sausage

Started by gitano, October 07, 2018, 04:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I thought about putting this in the "Chuckwagon" subforum, but since we are down to a small group, and most of what we post ends up here, I thought I might as well just stick this post here.

I processed (I haven't finished the cooking/smoking) 5 lbs of meat from the deer I shot at sakorick's place last November. http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19660 I'm making Summer Sausage. I've not made this particular version of sausage before, although it's a very common type. Four 'sticks' at 1.5 lbs each. The directions on the back of the seasoning packet say you can make in the oven or smoke it, so I decided to put two sticks in the oven and two in the smoker and see what difference there is between the two. I suspect the smoked sticks will be tastier, but there's more waiting and more 'hassle' with the smoked version.

Here's a pic of the sticks going in the oven.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

fire717

gitano

They came out of the oven a bit shriveled. (Not a surprise.) Taste was good enough. I used bacon and prosciutto for the 'fat'. That plus the seasoning made the finished product a little salty. I'm hoping the smoked version will be a bit better.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;151716That plus the seasoning made the finished product a little salty. I'm hoping the smoked version will be a bit better.

Paul
That's what they sell beer for.

(as long as it [salt and beer] doesn't interfere with one's medication regimen that is)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Once "they" put you on their drugs, they pretty much don't care what you eat. They say "low salt", but I've been "low salt" for the past 40 years. Beer isn't an issue. Actually, nothing is an issue diet-wise, because my diet before the stents was pretty good. I ate too much sugar and drank too much milk. I'm cutting way back on both of those, but my "normal" diet before the stents was about 1200 calories a day, and that included coffee with two teaspoons of sugar and two ounces of milk. My big problem wasn't my diet, except for too much sugar and milk COUPLED with LACK OF ACTIVITY.

I tried (since the stents) a low carb (VERY LOW), high protein and fat diet. Did not work for me. After fiddling around for a few weeks, I decided to just continue with the diet I had before the stents. It was a little higher in fat than the so-called "heart healthy diet", but I found out that there has been NOT ONE clinical trial demonstrating that the "heart healthy diet" was ANY better for your heart than the "standard American diet". NONE. NOT ONE. Personally, I think nutritionists (ptooey!) are only slightly better as human beings than members of the Taliban! I wouldn't trust what a nutritionist said if my life depended on it. Oh yeah, IT DOES! They are, in my opinion, one of the biggest scientific snake-oil salesmen on the planet. "They" say EVERYTHING is "good" for you, and then turn right around and say the EXACT SAME THINGS are "bad" for you, THE NEXT DAY! Like I said, I wouldn't trust a nutritionist as far as I could throw them!

Anyway, I know what good food is. I don't need an "expert" to tell me.

That said, for the past few weeks, I have been wondering about the following:
1) Consider that "they" want us to become TOTALLY dependent on "them" for FOOD.
2) Consider that once we are TOTALLY dependent on "them" for food, that "they" only want to manufacture food of sufficient quality that it keeps us ALIVE to work until we are past the age of highest productivity.
3) Consider that when we get "old", "they" want us out of the workforce in order to make way for younger, more productive workers.
4) Once "retired", they CUT medical benefits, thereby hastening our demise. ("You" that aren't retired probably don't know that when you retire, ALL dental, aural, and optical insurance is GONE. If you want those aspects of your health covered, YOU have to PAY EXTRA OUT OF POCKET. This INCLUDES Medicare "insurance".)
5) Why would "they" want to ELIMINATE medical insurance for your EYES and EARS and TEETH just at the time in your life when you need the insurance for those things THE MOST? Could it be that "they" want you DEPENDENT ON THEM FOR DRUGS TO TREAT THE AILMENTS THAT THEIR REALLY CRAPPY FOOD CAUSED THROUGH EATING FOR THE PREVIOUS 40 YEARS OF YOUR PRODUCTIVE LIFE?

Here's what I'm saying:
"They" want to get everyone to eat "their" MANUFACTURED food which will keep you ALIVE, but is in fact VERY BAD for you. It WILL kill you mostly through heart disease, diabetes, or cancer. However, "they" will blame the heart disease, diabetes, or cancer on YOUR "lifestyle". Then, when you are old and NEED insurance, "they" will eliminate insurance for the systems that MATTER TO YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE - Sight, Hearing, Oral health - and then throw DRUGS at you to "deal with" the health problems that THEIR FOOD CAUSED OVER THE LAST 40 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE! AND THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE DRUGS ARE WORSE THAN THE MALADY THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO CURE!

Pretty wacko conspiracy theory, right?

Probably.

But I wonder.

Seriously.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I'm with you 100% on what you posted. Not only do they want you dependent on them, our government tries everything to kill you. For instance, mandatory chlorine in our "city" water.  Nobody is gonna convince me chlorine doesn't cause cancer. NOBODY!!! We never heard much about cancer till the government made it mandatory to add chlorine in "public'" water supplies. BILLIONS of dollars have been begged by the American Cancer Society to find a cure for cancer. We've sent men to the moon & back for less. They don't want a cure for  cancer. Skrew the American Cancer Society. BUT they're not the only leeches sucking in big money so the CEO's can get another million dollars on their annual bonus. The American Red Cross is another scumbag outfit. Another thing that burns my old wrinkled behind is all this c**p about flu shots. Around this time of year even the "news" media start their crusade" to get you to get a flu shot. They yell, "Flu season is here. Better get your flu shot." The sheep run out & get a flu shot. Next month the media says there's a flu epidemic, better get your flu shot. The hospitals are full of flu victims. Wonder why there's a flu epidemic? Use your brain & think. The ones that get the flu from their flu vaccine drink downstream from the herd. Doctors, hospitals & pharmacies are laughing all the way to the bank. .......I'll let it go at that before I really get started.  .......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

By the way. That sausage looks delicious. :food04:.......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Paul, you got me thinking about a lot of things our government  does to us. They have all sorts of "services" I never fully understood because I couldn't see much "service" from any of them. There's the Secrete Service, Postal Service, Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Service, Housing & Urban Development Service plus a host of others. I was just thinking about what my neighbor up the road told me a couple months ago. He stopped by for a social visit & we chatted a couple hours. He & his dad always kept 50-60 head of cattle. His dad passed away several years ago & the son has the farm. When I asked if he still kept cattle he said he only kept 25 or 30 these days & bought a bull this spring to "service" the cows instead of having them artificially inseminated like his dad did. It just occured to me the resemblance between the bulls "service" to the cows & our government's "services" to the people. Now I am enlightened.   ......Paul H

jaeger88

Ive only ever had full blown Flu twice in my life, & both time were after the only 2 Flu jabs Ive ever had.
That was about 35 years ago.
My Diabetes nurse tells me that's just a coincidence, & I'm now more vulnerable to EVERYTHING now I'm type 2, told her no thanks, Ill take my chances.  
She was a little put out when I gave the same response to her offering me a Pneumonia shot.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

sakorick

Waiting on the smoked version grades.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Smoked didn't "work". Casing (non-edible) completely protected meat from smoke. I think the meat would have to be smoked before being put in casings, OR Liquid Smoke would have to be added to meat before casing.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: