Just in case

Started by Jamie.270, November 21, 2018, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

Things get busy around here tomorrow and I don't get a chance to drop by and chat,...

To all my fellow Americans living The Hunter's Life:

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'd warn y'all not to overeat, but what would be the point?  A feast is a feast, right?

:MOGRIN:
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for the good wishes, Jamie. Right back to you & yours & all our THL members. Happy Thanksgiving. ......Paul H

gitano

Great sentiment, Jamie.270!

My youngest, (now a Middle School Language Arts teacher), "interviewed" me a few days ago as part of a demonstration to her classes about an assignment she gave them. They are to choose three "big events" in our lives (and the lives of 4 relatives), and develop a story-line around those events. In other words, write a story that includes your life events and the life events of 4 of your relatives. One of my "life events" was living in Europe for four years. When she asked me a question from the list of questions they were to ask - "What did you learn from that experience" - I had to think a bit. The only succinct and over-all correct answer was: "I learned that I was very fortunate to be born an American."

Before any of our foreign members, and especially European ones, take umbrage at that comment, let me point out that I did not say, "I'm proud to be an American because it's better than any other country in the world." I did not say, I'm proud to be an American because all the other countries suck." I am simply glad that I was born an American. I think every member of THL could rightly - today - make the same statement about their native home.

And here's my point: Where ever you live, the fact that you are able to even BE a member of THL means that you and your country have the benefit of a life in a country that is wealthy and 'well off'. All too often we take for granted the GOOD FORTUNE we have, including that associated with  being a citizen of a "First World" country. ALL OF US are permitted extraordinary freedom to pursue the religion we choose. We have access to an abundance of food like never before known in human history. We have medical means and access like never before in history. As I am sure you all know, that list of "never before in human history" could go on for quite a while.

So, even though the American holiday "Thanksgiving", is in fact, "American", it seems appropriate to ask everyone to consider - for today - how fortunate we ALL are!

I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to be friends with ALL of 'you' here at THL!

To all my American friends: Eat well, and have a glorious, thankful, day!
To all my non-American friends: Eat well, and have a glorious, thankful, day!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Well said. Paul and very eloquently worded. ......This morning I forgot to mention you can turn your bathroom scale BACK fifteen pounds today.  :D  It can be corrected after Jan. 31st. ......Paul H

Jamie.270

Well, I hope no one inferred my meaning as a claim that only Americans are thankful for where we live, or that we're the only ones who dedicate a national holiday to it.
I know that to not be the case.

But today is ours, hence my wishes for my fellow THL members who hail from/reside in America.
I would add, that anyone wanting to chime in, regardless of their country, society or culture, feel free to do so.  

Join the fun.

For today is the day we formally give thanks, but it's certainly not exclusive!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

gitano

I don't think anyone inferred that from your comment, Jamie.270.

And I THINK the Canadians have adopted a "Thanksgiving Day". Not sure about that though. I'll check on it.

Paul

PS - According to google, there are nine countries besides the US that have an official Thanksgiving Day holiday. Three of them are essentially the same as the US's: Canada, Norfolk Island, and Liberia. The other 6 are: China, Japan, Germany, Grenada, South Korea, and Vietnam. Theirs, according to google, are not so much like the US's.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Well, ours was a success.
*Burp*
('scuse me)

Because I said so.

I hope yours was as well.

PS: Throw a wrench in the works, stay home on "Black Friday."

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;152006Well, ours was a success.
*Burp*
('scuse me)

Because I said so.

I hope yours was as well.

PS: Throw a wrench in the works, stay home on "Black Friday."

What Jamie said. Belch added. ^^^^^^^
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I like today's fare: Cold turkey on sourdough bread with mayonnaise with a side of home-made cranberry sauce.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;152009I like today's fare: Cold turkey on sourdough bread with mayonnaise with a side of home-made cranberry sauce.

Paul
Lots of thin sliced dark meat warmed up in gravy, over leftover dressing.  And the cranberries on the side.

Urp.  Oops, I did it again.

I'm gonna hafta go for a walk tomorrow morning.
A long one.

Tags: