Bad -7.1 - Earthquake Here

Started by gitano, November 30, 2018, 12:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Everyone in my family is ok. Lots of damage, but just "stuff". I'll post more once the dust settles.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Whew!
I'm glad you and the wife are okay.  You're right,...
Stuff  is just stuff.  But I thought about the Music Stand getting something  heavy like a bookcase dropped on it, and worried about it too.

I've been in a few "shakers" and they're not pleasant by any means.  But nothing even approaching a 7+.  That's nutz.

Good luck with the cleanup, I hope you folks didn't lose too much.
Keep us posted when you can.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Most things back to normal as much as can be under the circumstances. Bad damage to the transportation infrastructure. You'll probably see the more dramatic pictures on national TV. Power was off at my place for about 8 hours. I have a generator connected to run the essentials in the house: well pump, boiler, and kitchen including refer and stove, etc.

Lots of damage to 'stuff' in my house. 5 'stuffed heads' came off of the wall. Two of them were severely damaged, the other three not at all. Without going into all the little things let me just say, "It could have been much worse". As I was cleaning up, I was repeatedly thinking "Wow! It's amazing what DIDN'T get broken!"

Anyway, all's well so far. There have been 14 aftershocks greater than magnitude 4.0, but there is no expectation of any aftershock near the magnitude of the original (7.1). I think everything will be back to "normal" in a day or two. All of me and mine are just fine. "Stuff" lost is just stuff lost. That's what happens to 'stuff' in the end anyway.

Thanks for your prayers and concerns!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, good to hear you'ns are ok & no major "stuff" lost. I didn't know anything about the quake till this morning when I read it on  the computer. TV news is mostly "out" for me because I can't hear & understand much. Hang in there, pal. Prayers for you, Sue & the girls. .......Paul H

sakorick

That's good news Paul. I went through one as a youngster in Japan in 1957 and it's still etched on my mind. You wouldn't think that a little gliding of Earth's tectonic plates wouldn't amount to such a mess on top but it sure does! Take a look at Japan on the chart.....it sits at the intersection of four of them!!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

I thought maybe you had an incipient case head separation . . .

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;152063I thought maybe you had an incipient case head separation . . .

RJ
:MOGRIN:That's the funniest comment I have heard since this whole thing started! :MOGRIN:

Thanks for all the well-wishes and prayers! Most everyone is pretty much laughing it off by now. (Funny how human psyches work that way.)

The worst damage, (not counting the pretty-much-destroyed pronghorn head), was to one of our cars - the one in the garage. Things - "garage things" - fell on it and cracked the windshield, broke a side window and put a dent in the roof. Not sure how insurance is gonna work for that. You can NOT even buy "earthquake" insurance for your house in Alaska. (Funny how THAT works, isn't it.) I'm wondering if USAA will claim "no coverage for earthquakes" or "act of God" to weasel out of financial responsibility. I'd be a little surprised. USAA has been pretty good so far. No "help" from homeowners insurance. No protection from damage from earthquake.

Thanks again for your prayers and well-wishes!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Don't count on USAA....they have change to Big Business model and getting worse by the day.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Funny picture of earthquakes around the world and the recent one in Anchorage.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Well, Jorge, EVERYBODY is OK! No injuries reported AT ALL!

Of course the Press just HAD to find something "dangerous" to report, so last night on the nightly local news they reported that "Some of the incidences - like heart attacks - that occurred at local hospitals MIGHT have been caused by anxiety over the earthquake".

It is really difficult to imagine how the people of the Press today look at themselves in the mirror! I know... I know... The Truth is; they have sold their souls. And I mean that. No hyperbole. No exaggeration. The Press, as a whole, is truly an agent of Evil. Today, they are simply incapable of telling the Truth. They simply CAN'T.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Amen to that Paul.

No integrity in the media.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Jamie.270

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

AFAIC, the mainstream media has been the enemy of the American people since before the turn of the century.

I thought it might be unique to our society/culture/government, but apparently not.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

The "media" we know today & ever since WW2 is our worst enemy. They don't report the real "news" bot tell  you just what they want you to hear or see. They may show some news on a marquee scrolling along the bottom of your TV screen in fine print at high speed while they're running their mouth about some "celebrity" doing something stupid. The media also sensationalizes even the most trivial thing to milk it for all they can get out of it. One only has to look at who owns most of the media outlets to figure out why they're so pathetic any more. I'll drop it before I really get stared. .......Paul H

gitano

Had some 'chaos' in the reloading room:

But it could have been worse:

As you can see, not a single powder container came off the shelves.

Getting all of the spilled bullets back in the right boxes was tedious, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting all of the boxes of bullets on the shelves straightened up and getting all of the boxes not on shelves back on the shelves is actually more 'involved'.

Most of my rifles are 'strapped in', and while they moved a bit from side to side, they stayed pretty much in place. However, I have several milsurps that were not strapped in, and 4 of them fell from their perches. Fortunately (again!), no damage to them or what they fell on, on the countertop below.

One thing I have learned the 'hard way' after all this is "Open cabinet doors very carefully!" :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: