2019 Deer Hunt

Started by sakorick, November 16, 2019, 08:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Scruggs Farm, Linn County , Missouri. Eric, Evan and Owen picked up Paul and his .338 at the Kansas City Airport at 1445, 14 October and headed North. They almost made it to the farm but the water pump on Eric's Truck flamed out with 25 miles to go. I immediately called my friend Terry Milford who owns Millford's Garage in Laclede who jumped in his tow truck and was heading West on US36 when I passed him in my pickup. I knew exactly where the boys were and by the time the wrecker arrived we had already transferred guns and clothes into my truck. Eric's truck was repaired the next morning......a possible bad deal turned into a good deal. DAY 1. Season opened today at 30 minutes before sunrise with lots of shooting around but not from our rifles! We saw one 6 point scrub all morning. We are going back out in about an hour to finish off day 1. Continued.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Well, that sucks BUT when things start out bad the usually wind up good. Good luck to all of you. One of my "girlfriends" just called 10 minutes ago to tell me she's bringing me a small doe tomorrow. No wonder I love that kid. .......Paul H

sakorick

Day 1 Sat Evening. We saw lots of deer lots of does and scrub bucks, no does in heat and no big boys = no shots fired.

Day 2 Sunday morning. at 0705 I saw a small doe go by me at full speed. No buck chasing and I have no idea where she came from. Paul saw 2 scrubs and a decent 8 point which he passed on and the neighbors killed. I retired at 0815 to go to church and it was worth the effort as Pastor Buck was on fire! After lunch Eric reported no bucks at the East. We call Eric and his boys as the East, Paul is the West and I'm the North.

sakorick

Day 3. No big ones yet. We all saw nothing but scrubs and does.

Day 4, morning Eric and Owen hunted in their regular blind in the morning and went through an episode of buck fever. The big stud got away un-shot at. Eric and the boys left for home and school at noon. The boys still have a late youth season to hunt for 2 more days after Thanksgiving. Paul and I hunted over at John's place which was some different scenery. I had a small 10 point and a doe out in front of me for about 30 minutes but other than that about the same scrubs as at my place.
Evening. Paul scores a monster buck.  Take a look at this 12 point.

gitano

We rough-scored it at 171and 6/8ths inches. Main beams were 24 inches long, and the bases we're a little over 6" in circumference.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Wow, I almost missed this edit!
Nice Buck Paul, congrats on the "tall" rack.

PS,...  So, what did you do to your ankle Rick?
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;154268Wow, I almost missed this edit!
Nice Buck Paul, congrats on the "tall" rack.

PS,...  So, what did you do to your ankle Rick?

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall......broken Fibula.

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;154269Humpty Dumpty had a great fall......broken Fibula.
GAH!

Dayum, get well soon sir!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

recoil junky

Nice except for Rick's broken ankle!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Well, congratulations, Paul. Glad you got a beautiful wall hanger. Big bodied beast too. Looks fat & sleek too. Rick, this getting  old & careless just don't go together very well. Take care of that ankle. You only have two of them.  .......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Odd that this didn't show up on my screen till today.   ......Paul H

Jamie.270

Quote from: gitano;154267We rough-scored it at 171and 6/8ths inches. Main beams were 24 inches long, and the bases we're a little over 6" in diameter.

Paul
I just noticed this, and I think you meant to say circumference.

Either that or the camera you used for the photos really distorts the subject's proportions.  ;)

:greentongue:

gitano

Quote from: Jamie.270;154274I just noticed this, and I think you meant to say circumference.

Either that or the camera you used for the photos really distorts the subject's proportions.  ;)

:greentongue:

You're absolutely right, Jamie.270! Circumference!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

It is now Friday the 22d. The rut is nearly over. We are now in Doe mode as I need one for the freezer. I sent Paul to the "salad bar" which is my blind in the SW Crp field with about 1/2 acre of Rape Radishes and Turnups in the bottom. Lots of Does are feeding here. Tomorrow we head to KC to drop off the big boy at the taxidermist  and spend the night with Eric & family. We need to be at the airport at NLT than 0500 on Sunday. Paul flies home and I spend the night as I has a appointment at the VA at 0930 on Monday for leg inspection. Then I will hunt Monday afternoon and Tuesday as it's the last day. I'll report on Paul's doe hunt later this evening.

Cont. 11-23. No deer since Paul's big boy. I'll be back out Mon evening and Tuesday. We are off to Kansas City now.

Hunterbug

That is a stud! Great job.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: