The actual cost of owning an automobile

Started by gitano, January 31, 2020, 09:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Let's say you drive your vehicle 20,000 miles per year. (That's the figure insurance companies use.) Let's now say you keep your car 5 years. That's 100,000 miles. Let's now assume you get 20 miles per gallon. That's 5,000 gallons of gas. At $3 per gallon (higher in Alaska, lower some places), that's $15,000 in gas on top of the sticker price. Not to mention insurance and "oil changes" and things like tires. (The last set of four tires I bought cost me $1600!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

The cost of independent transportation in the modern world.
I no longer drive 20K annually, but I did for years.

As the next (almost) viable alternative, there's always horses/mules and maybe a wagon/buggy, but in terms of cost and time invested, they're just as bad if not worse.

The only other alternative I can see is moving to the city and taking the bus.
(AKA: Kill me now and get it over with)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Yeah, I only drive about 7 to 8 thousand miles per year these days, but most folks don't think about how much money you spend putting gas in a vehicle! I have almost never kept a vehicle less than 10 years. (I just sold my 30-year-old van that I was the original owner of.) I spent more money on gas than I did on buying the vehicles!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I drove 24,800 miles to work & back alone for 35 years. I usually drove an economy car or truck. I changed jobs & only drove 9,360 miles a year. WOW !!! What a difference that made. Gas prices ranged from 19 cents a gallon to near 4 dollars. I never had need for  a big engine gas guzzler. A new 1965 Corvair Monza cost 2600 dollars back in those days. Today's car prices are nothing but  a ripoff. Downright obscene greed.   ......Paul H

Tags: