And So It Begins... Again

Started by gitano, April 19, 2020, 08:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

So the jokes ARE true.

You're lucky they didn't decide to take you back to the nest.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

I was out changing tires from 'winter' to 'summer', and when I walked out the door I thought, "I won't be surprised to see some mosquitoes". I wasn't surprised.

Here are some little-known facts about mosquitoes: They actually overwinter as larvae. That's why, when the first ones emerge in the spring they are BIG, and consequently, slow. They are very 'stupid'. They land on you. Walk around probing for a good spot to drill. EASY to kill. Later in the summer, the offspring of these early, over-wintering adults, are small, fast, and 'smart'. They land with the bite site already selected and 'ready to drill'. They're WAY faster because they are significantly smaller - and the ambient temperature is higher - usually.

Truth be told, of all the biting insects in Alaska, mosquitoes are the ones I tolerate the most. I very rarely put on bug dope for mosquitoes. If I can keep a hand free, I can keep the mosquitoes off me. Now black flies, (Simulidae), those are BAD. I'm also slightly allergic to their saliva. A bite from a black fly will stay with me for a week. A mosquito bite lasts 10-20 minutes. Max.

By the way, this one didn't 'get' me. I got her instead.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I despise mosquitoes, black flies and deer flies.  Especially black flies. Fortunately, we don't have black flies here. Maine bear hunting territory is loaded with them. Deer flies & mosquitoes bite but black flies really suck. They crawl around inside your clothes, under your cap in your hair & bite in the most unlikely places. I pull my socks up over my pants leg & they chew thru my socks & bite like a rabid dog  just as a bear comes in to the bait. Nasty little  :cens:.  ......Paul H

Tags: