Started by gitano, May 15, 2020, 07:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

May 29, 2020

PAUL  SKVORC
PO BOX 870503
WASILLA AK 99687-0503

Dear PAUL :

Thank you for your recent applications for Big Game.  Your results are as follows:

*********************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: Bison

*********************************************************************************************************

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Buck Pronghorn

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Bull Elk

UNSUCCESSFUL: Limited Entry Buck Deer

Permits remaining after the drawing may be purchased on a first-come, first-served basis at participating license agents, Division offices and online at wildlife.utah.gov.  For details, see page 14 of the 2020 Big Game Field Regulations Guidebook.  Visit https://wildlife.utah.gov/remaining-permits.html to view a list of remaining permits.

Thank you.
Utah Wildlife Administrative Services

HOWEVER... That was expected as I have a new strategy for drawing hunt applications: I apply ONLY for "Trophy" hunts. Those hunts usually require MANY "points" (years of applications) to draw. If you don't get drawn for a hunt (any hunt, "trophy" or not), you get a "preference point". I could simply apply for a preference point, but this way, there is a chance - VERY SMALL - that I will actually get drawn for the trophy hunt because I don't have enough points. However, there is still a CHANCE, however minuscule it might be. If I get drawn YIPPEE! Otherwise, I get a preference point anyway. Plus, these trophy hunts all have very high success rates, so if I do by some chance get drawn, the odds of success are very high. If I'm gonna pay non-resident hunting fees, I'd like to have some expectation of success. So, while the above 'rejection slip' is in keeping with my drawing success of late, (remember, it took me THIRTY FIVE YEARS to draw the buffalo), the outcome was expected. The troof iz, I would have been shocked had I been drawn for any one of them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Like the  old Tyrolean saying, " The best laid plans can go astray if the Angel of luck pees in the frizzen of your musket." .....Your outlook & persistence have paid off in the past. .......lPaul H

Jorge in Oz

They have a grudge against you there Paul too Paul i thought it was just Alaska? :(
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

Missouri is having their first Elk hunt this fall. 5 hunters will be drawn. So I said what the heck somebody's got to win. Then I started looking at the rules. The Elk are in 4 counties that have public ground but you must get permission from a land owner to hunt so I called a few sporting goods stores to get some local info. Most of the people I talked to were real helpful. Some had phone numbers to the private landowners who had Elk on their property. The going rate is $1000 to $5000 depending if there is a mature Bull  "around". Most of the people I talked to said they had never seen a 6 point Bull. I then decided to plant more food plots here. John did the same thing. :Banghead:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Makes the $2000 some were asking to hunt their property for buffalo/bison in Delta Junction seem cheap.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;155092Makes the $2000 some were asking to hunt their property for buffalo/bison in Delta Junction seem cheap.

Paul

There is no official report but I would bet a month's Flight Pay that nobody is getting suckered into this!

Paul Hoskins

Rick, it's difficult to imagine a landowner being that greedy and selfish. I suspect Kentucky has the largest elk herd east of the river divide. There's LOTS of public hunting land in the 17 county elk boundary. I just can't wrap my head around any landowner in the elk zone charging more than a few hundred dollars at most to hunt elk on their land. People in Kentucky aren't like that. I'm sure there are "guides" (shisters) that lease large tracts of land. then try to rip off unsuspecting or uninformed hunters. That kind of ilk is everywhere. I would avoid them like they had Covid 19. I haven't checked our elk population lately but pretty sure it's over 20,000 head. .......Paul H

Paul Hoskins

I just Googled our elk population & I was WAY OFF in my above comment. The herd is "estimated at 11,000. I'm almost certain it's much higher than that. Regardless, it's still the largest state herd east of the Miss. river.   .......Paul H

sakorick

It makes not a wit....I didn't apply and the cost was not the deciding factor. I just find the money grubbing a pitiful thing regardless of price.

Tags: