Pecking order of local woodpeckers

Started by Paul Hoskins, June 17, 2020, 04:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

From what I've observed around here this is the pecking order of local woodpeckers. The little downy's are at the bottom of the totem  pole. Hairy woodpeckers dominate them when feeding. The yellow shafted woodpeckers chase both off the suet. Yellow shafted woodpeckers are the largest of local local woodpeckers other than pileated woodpeckers. The redbelly woodpeckers dominate  the flickers even tho slightly smaller in size. The red headed woodpeckrs rule the redbelly as well as all the rest of the smaller woodpeckers. Red headed woodpeckers aren't mean. They simply don't take any foolishness from any woodpeckers or any other birds except the pileated & for good reason. Pileated woodpeckers are about the size of a crow or Banty chicken. ALL birds clear  out & make room for pileated's. ........Paul H .....

Paul Hoskins

Well, somehow I left a picture of the redhead out. Sorry about the quality of the pictures but I  can't see much any more and have  trouble seeing anything in the camera viewfinder. .....Paul H .....

Tags: