Night prowlers around the house

Started by Paul Hoskins, September 21, 2020, 03:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Been seeing young red foxes around the back yard for a couple months. Suspected they were denning nearby & set up a cheap trail camera. The pictures reveal what;s out in the back yard at night. Lousy pictures but they reveal what's out there. Appears to be two mature red fox & at least one kit but possibly two of them. .......Other varmints visited too. ........Paul H

Jamie.270

QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I was looking at the dates and times on the images and was surprised to see:
1) The 'possum (Didelphis virginiana) - the ONLY marsupial outside Australia - was there within a minute of when the foxes were there. I would have thought the foxes would have had the 'possum for lunch!
2) The variety of critters: Red foxes (Vulpes vulpes), opossums (D. americana), racoons (Procyon lotor).
3) Multiple visits by 'coons.

Neat stuff!

Paul

PS - I rechecked the times on the 'possum and foxes, and they were separated by 30 minutes, not "a minute" that I thought originally.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I loathe possums. I don't know any animals that will eat them. I suppose a hungry coyote would if it was desperate. Possums and coons around here are wanderers. If they find a food source they will return. The foxes are resident animals for the most part. This family  of foxes have been here at least two years. This year is the first year I know of them rearing young.   ......Paul H

Tags: