Trip to Missouri - April, 2022

Started by gitano, May 08, 2022, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

This trip was planned a year ago after the  paddlefishing adventure.  www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20798  

That said, the trip was primarily to get  together with my friends, visit, and go fishin'. It was a great trip! I  took right at 2000 pictures in two weeks. :D Got some great pictures of  turkeys, and wood ducks, and spoonbill (ducks), and even some fish  pictures. ;) I should probably start with the fish pictures.

We went to Lake of the Ozarks to fish for paddlefish (AKA spoonbills).  John caught two the first day, this one, about a 40-pounder: and one too small to keep.

The powers that be were not generating electricity (letting water  through the Truman dam), so the paddlefishing was poor. We did snag a drum and this  nice 20-lb flathead that we couldn't keep because it was snagged.

What happens when you put your hand in a flathead's mouth to land it.

We decided to jugline some catfish. :D

A 20lb blue:

A 25-lb blue:

Another 25-lb blue:

And various other blues in the 8 to 12-pound class.  We've decided that next year we're going to head down AFTER  paddlefishing season closes, and just jugline for catfish! More pictures, many more pictures, to come.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Wow .......That's a lot of fish. Looking foreward to more when I have the time. .......Paul H

sakorick

We also discovered the lodge, Rick's Oar House, has a private cabin that easily bunks all four of us. Not only a spacious cabin but cheaper than the double rooms we had a year ago. I believe John has already reserved the big cabin for next year. Those blue cats are the best eating fish that just melt in your mouth!:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

So let's have a look at some turkeys. (The feathered kind. ;) All of the pictures you will see were taken at a range of 150 to 300 yards.

Ladies first. These at about 150 to 200 yards.

Next, some Jakes. These are about 275 yards. Note the short beards and spurs.

Next, the big boys. Toms. Note the beards and spurs. Last pictures are out at 300

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Rare shot of the elusive two headed Missouri bush turkey.  Nice going !!!!

JaDub

gitano

Quote from: JaDub;156509... two headed Missouri bush turkey.

You noticed that, eh?:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Rick and I took a stroll through the Boardwalk at Pershing State Park. Here are the pictures I took. There was a first for me: Wood ducks actually IN THE WOODS! It was very cool.

During the whole trip, in spite of them being very common, I wasn't able to get good, close pictures of Blue Jays.

This guy was singing his lungs out.

Woodpecker homes.

Ladderback woodpecker.

Redheaded woodpecker.

Tom and hen turkeys. Even though much farther away, the pictures from Rick's place are better.

Wood duck drake.

Hen.

And a woodie drake IN A TREE!

Woodie pair.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Another place we went for 'photo ops' was Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge. The diversity wasn't great, but it was still good picture opportunities.

On the way there, we saw this Broad-winged hawk in a tree, and it let me get some good shots.

There were 'a mountain' of great blue herons, but it wasn't easy getting any great shots.

Pelicans, that at first, and from a distance, we thought were snow geese.

Ringneck drake, which at first, and from a distance, we thought might be canvas backs. :cry:

Snipe.

Northern Spoonbills. These are one of my favorite ducks.

I had never seen SO MANY tree swallows PERCHED IN TREES!

There were at least as many blue-winged teal as there were spoonies.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

The night before the full moon.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Being Spring, the birds were of course nesting. Canada geese no exception. Here is the goose on the nest on an island on a pond below Rick's house, doing her best to hide. (Not terribly successful.)

And the gander trying to lure me away by flying off and cackling/honking loudly.

Others watching from the beanfield.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice Photos, those turkeys look very nice for eating. :food04:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Butterballs taste better, (unless you smoke the wild ones). But they're very cool to watch.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I seem to remember asking Rick what the wild turkeys were like to eat, he said buy a butterball..
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: