.350 Remington Mag

Started by gitano, June 17, 2022, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I'm just sitting around waiting for Sue to come home so I can go to the range with the .338 Swiss, (http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20892&page=2)
and I thought I might do some paper-whipping of the .350 Rem Mag. (I have one of them in a model 673 "Guide Gun".) The heaviest Accubond for .358 caliber is 225 grains, but there is a 250 Partition, and I have a box of them.

Cutting to the chase scene:

Using 56.8 grains of I3031, I can get that bullet going 2560 f/s at the muzzle. Zeroed at 200yd, it's 2.3" high at 120, and 9.4" low at 300. Muzzle energy is 3638 ft-lb, but impact energy is 2233 ft-lb at 300, and impact velocity is 2006 ft/s. :biggthumpup:

That's right in my ballistic sweet spot.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

I always wondered why Remington didn't chamber one of their 760/7600 pump rifles in a round like that.
Seems to me it would be the perfect camp gun in big bear country.
If not the .358 Rem Mag, then the .338-06 or .338 Federal.

I'm considering/emphasizing penetration and stopping power here, rather than range, so the .338 Federal and even the .358 Win might also fill the bill.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Even though the shortest of the belted mags, the .350 seems TO ME to be 'long' for a pump action. I know, lotsa pump '06s out there. Doesn't chang the fact that they seem long to me. Nevertheless, a pump .350 RM is an intriguing idea.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Jamie, it's interesting that you should mention the 338 Federal. I'm currently working on one.

Paul, did I give you some brass for the 350? If not I'll look around. I'm sure that I had some.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

HB - Nope. I've been making 'em  from .300 Win Mag cases.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitano;156575HB - Nope. I've been making 'em  from .300 Win Mag cases.

Paul

I'm glad you found them. I thought I was losing my mind. Although that's still possible.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: