Pansies - The Flower Kind

Started by gitano, October 05, 2022, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

So, the volunteer pansies are still 'hard at it', even though snowfall is days away.

As I was walking around the yard with Henry, I noticed that while everything else was essentially "dead for winter", the pansies, (volunteers from previous years' commercially produced plants), were still going gangbusters! I was initially struck by the variety of 'macro' colors. Pansies, when you buy them, are quite monochromatic on a whole-flower basis. All yellow, or all blue, or all a couple of colors, but ALL of the flowers would be the same. However, these volunteers have been hybridizing for a few years, and the result is a veritable laboratory for a Genetics 101 class! Furthermore, as I looked more closely at them, I noticed some clear 'grouping' similarities and differences. I encourage you to look closely at these and note the similarities and differences in color patterns. I did edit the BACKGROUND for contrast, but the flowers are 'au natural' with respect to color. I'll number the pictures for reference in follow-up posts.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Very nice. They'll be going away for the winter soon.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: