Backyard Roosevelt

Started by Kanibal, April 08, 2005, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

These are a couple pics of an elk heard on the backside of my families cattle ranch. There are only about 40 in the heard at the moment but during certain times of the year it can grow to around 90 head or more. This is one of three heards who's routes of travel intersect our ranch. It is mostly cows now but also has some of the younger heard bulls with them. In the fall a lot of the big bulls come down out of the mountains and join the main heard. They sure love our apple orchard and often tear through the fence lines to get to them. Guess who gets to mend the fence afterwards?
-Richard

m gardner

All I can say is beatiful place and how convenient!.

God bless and good hunting.

Kanibal

The only problem when I go hunting is do I shoot a steer or an elk?
-Richard

Willywonka

Shoot the elk of course. What gmu are you in? I'd love to get a good shot at a bull elk but the problem is the elk in my area are very scarce and run with a moments notice. that and I have to shoot a 3 point or better bull in order to make it legal with my bow! Which is absurd since rifle hunters can shoot any bull!

Alboy

Any one want to adopt a "Dutch Uncle"?

Will mend fences for hunting, making my sign now and I am going out to stand on the corner for the rest of the day.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Kanibal

Does Uncle Alboy wanna come over to the West Coast and hunt elk?
-Richard

Alboy

Well he would certainly give it a lot of thinking and then set up the savings account accordingly.

There is a good chance he would want to bring Uncles Jim, Adrian and Jeremy too. All just depends.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

billythekidrock

Gotta love the Roosevelt!

WillyWonka - on the westside we rifle hunters also have a 3 pt restriction.

Willywonka

not in my hunting area you don't. Check rules for GMU 513 rifle hunters can take any bull while archery hunters have to shoot 3 point or better. Also check 510 the rules are the same there!

billythekidrock

Yes, you'r right on those units.

But there are 8 archery units open for any elk within a short distance from you.
There are few areas that the rifle guys can take any elk due. I think this is to curb the spread of the elk.

Believe me, a young cow or spike tastes much better than a big ol' bull anyday, and any elk with a bow is a good elk.

Willywonka

true but if I hunt in the area around eatonville which is an spike or antlerless elk area for archery I have to compete hardcore to get a single shot or even see an animal out in my area we see maybe 2 people the entire time compared to seeing a car every 5 minutes. that and 513 is my old faithful hunting area and 510 is my new faithful hunting area since the area I go is closed from memorial day to labor day to any vehicle and the deer just lay on the side of the road as we drive past. Last year my dad and I chased after a 4x4 buck for about 300 yards before we gave up. we'd get to about 40 yards and he'd turn and walk up the hill like it was nothing until he was about 100 yards away then stop and wait for us. talk about a smart buck!!!!! When we first saw him though he was bedded down not 20 yards from the road!!!!!!

billythekidrock

are there many elk around Eatonville?

My step father has property there and says there are elk there that are not hunted cause it is private property. I know better! If you don't live there, someone will be hunting it.

Willywonka

There are supposedly elk there but the few times I've been up on the roads out in eatonville there are so many people you might as well forget about ever seeing one let alone getting a shot off without everybody and there uncle knowing about it and coming to bug you.

billythekidrock

Thought so, getting that way everywhere.

Willywonka

area 510 and 513 your lucky to see 2 cars in a day.

Tags: