Bore Snakes

Started by Lost Hunta, April 19, 2005, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Hunta

I wanted to know if im supposed to put solvent one the rope or on a patch before that but after the brush? I can't recall how many blasted patches i put but the dang Yugo M48 never came clean, likely due to i have no jag (i broke it ) i was using a patch wrapped around a brush . Aside from that i want to know how long these'll last and how effective they are? I imagine i havta clean the rope after using eh? good for at the range cleaning?

FYI i ordered a Tipton rod and jag kit so i'll have a new one soon.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

teddy12b

Here's my 2 cents on the bore snakes.

A long time ago I got tired of running the brush through the barrel and then the patches were always coming out just nasty no matter how many times I did it.

I bought a bore snake for every pistol and rifle caliber I have.  I used them after everytime to the range and still have them to this day.  The problem I have with them is that they were not  getting enough of the copper fouling out of the rifling.  I could look into the end of my barrels and see that between the rifling the barrels were laced with copper.

If you really really want to clean out your barrel here is a method I learned from an expert, he happens to work for Sinclair Int.  He recommended that I buy a special solvent called Montana Extreame.  I bought a bottle of it and I could not be happier.  This solution will not damage your stock, but it does have a very powerful scent.

My cleaning steps:
1.) Use a brass brush on a rod and brush out the barrel.
2.) Soak a bore mop in Montana Extreame and run that through the barrel.
3.) Let the rifle set for a half an hour.
4.) Brush out the barrel with a brass brush 15-20 times.
5.) Run another soaked bore mop through the barrel and let it set again for a half an hour.
6.) Brush out the barrel just a few more times and run a clean bore mop through it until the barrel is dry.

This isn't a quick process but if it give your barrel this full treatment every once in a while you will really be suprised at how clean your barrel will be and it'll be easier to clean as well.

If there is anything you get from all this, buy some Montana Extreame!

M1Garand

I personally only use them at the range when I'm testing loads and in between strings. I know a lot say to give it a little better cleaning in between but my personnal belief is they'll clean fine between the strings for load testing and a better cleaning can be done later. My normal cleanings are with Sweet's or Wipe Out and then rod with CLP to finish.

sakorick

The bore snakes are great for inbetween cleaning after light shooting. Once you've fired 30 or so rounds, here's what I do:
1. Brush 10 strokes
2. Squirt WIPE OUT.. 2 seconds fills the barrel
3. Wait 20 minutes....brush 10 times
4  Jag with clean patches til copper gone...if patches stay green let the wipe out sit 1 hour and repeat
5. Swab with butch's bore shine.
6. jag with clean patches.....done

I use a Stoney Point bore guide...the solvent port is great....keeps action, clip area, stock and trigger clean. note. If you have a Sako or Weatherby, you'll need to order a special collar for 7 bucks. I bet this thread generates many recommendations and look forward to see the variations. Great Post, this one gets the 5 star award....clean bores:D are happy bores, regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

The bore snakes are great for inbetween cleaning after light shooting. Once you've fired 30 or so rounds, here's what I do:
1. Brush 10 strokes
2. Squirt WIPE OUT.. 2 seconds filles the barrel
3. Wait 20 minutes....brush 10 times
4  Jag with clean patches til copper gone...if patches stay green let the wipe out sit 1 hour and repeate
5. Swab with butchs bore shine.
6. jag with clean patches.....done

I use a Stoney Point bore guide...the solvent port is great....keeps action, clip area, stock and trigger clean. note. If you have a Sako or Weatherby, you'll need to order a special collar for 7 bucks. I bet this thread generates many recommendations and look forward to see the variations. Great Post, this one gets the 5 star award....clean bores:D  are happy bores, regards, Rick.

Lost Hunta

nothing's simple is it? nor not involving purchasing MORE, not the buy it self but usually having to online order is annoying. I think i'll go to the new Gander MT here in Duluth.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

sakorick

This should be the hottest topic on the net....what's wrong with you people??? wake up and let's hear your cleaning solutions!!!  go go go for the Gip!!!

Tags: