gain twist barrel?

Started by Hunterbug, May 12, 2005, 11:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I was reading through the Sierra manual and on the 6.5X52 Carcano it mentioned that these rifles had a gain twist barrel. It starts off at 1X19.25 and finishes at 1X8.25. What would be the point and has anyone else ever done this?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

HB;
It is to get a fast twist to handle long, heavy bullets, while keeping pressures down by allowing the bullet to start off against less resistance from the rifling, at least that is the claims.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

English

Wow H-bug, I just learned something.  I happen to have a 6.5 Carcano amongst my possessions that is getting reworked to allow me to play amatuer gunsmith without wrecking anything "good".    I didn't know they had gain twist barrels.  I also didnt' know what the object of them was.

Thanks.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Hunterbug

Mike, I was looking at the data and they list a 140gr bullet at 2400fps which should be just the ticket for white tails at a reasonable distance. It also does this with less than 40gr of powder. You'll have to post some pics for us so we can see how it's coming along.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

English

H-bug, I'll try and get a pic of the gun in it's present state for you.  I have the carbine version.  This is a light, handy little gun that I think would make a dandy walk about gun for whitetails.  It seems to have ballistics on par with a 30-30 and I'm figuring it to be a 125 yard gun at best.  I want to put a red dot scope on it for quick site acquisition. One thing I have to figure out though is the trigger.  I've NEVER pulled a trigger with more pre-travel than this one.  It's also a bit on the stiff side if I remember correctly.  I only fired it 3 times to make sure it was functional.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

English

OK trying to post some pics of my Carcano project.  First time to attempt posting pics on the net with my new windows XP format.  Hope it works.  

First pic is of the gun with a stripper clip and box of ammo I was able to purchase.  Note that it is reloadable brass.  If you are contemplating shooting one of these you better learn to reload as loaded ammo is spendy!

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

English

Oops forgot to explain the other two pics.  Second shows the fact that the bayonet has  been removed.  (I have a bayonet and lug if anyone needs one.)  I have already filled the recess where the bayonet rested with an epoxy putty.  This still needs to be sanded into shape but is awaiting whatever I do to the nose of the forend.

Third pic shows the rear sight has been sanded down nearly smooth.  I intend to drill and tap this for mounting the reddot site.  I'll probably practice blueing and bedding on this old girl as well.  Not really worried about great looks or super accuracy for this setup but I need the practice!

I also want to work on the trigger, safety and refinish the stock with something.  Still a work in progress as well as some planning to do.  Open to any and all suggestions and criticisms.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: EnglishOne thing I have to figure out though is the trigger. I've NEVER pulled a trigger with more pre-travel than this one. It's also a bit on the stiff side if I remember correctly. I only fired it 3 times to make sure it was functional.  Mike
[/size]

There is an option for a gunschmidt.:D

drinksgin (deceased)

English;
Graf has Yugo fmj's at $14-20 and brass at $28-100.
Have you noticed someone is advertising the Carcano ,German arsenel converted to 8x57?
With the reputation that rifle has over the years, I would keep it down to milder loads.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Hunterbug

I have seen mention of the 8X57 conversion but to me it's like the small ring Mausers  that the Spanish converted to 7.62X51, a wonder that noone blew themselves up. They were for the Africa Corp which worked closely with the Germans and so it made sence for them to have the same caliber weapons.

Mike, you'll have to keep us updated on the progress of your project.

Niccolo Machiavelli

English

Don, thanks on that heads up.  Most of the loaded ammo I've found loacally was over 40 bucks per 20.  I found this stuff I have on the net for about 1 buck per round.  I bought 40 round figuring if and when I need more I'll get a set of dies and go to reloading for it.  That FMJ would make good practive fodder.  I might have to pic up some of it.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

roadkill636

i'v got 6.5 carcano reloading die set $20
If God did"t want us to eat meat,,,,, he would not have invented guns

Nelsdou

A point of clarification.

The Carcano M91s (long rifle) have the gain twist .  The M91/41s (also a long rifle) however are fixed twist.  The M91/38 short rifle that I have is also fixed twist.  The even shorter carbines (like I believe English has) I'm fuzzy right now if they are gain twist or not.

A good reference on shooting Carcanos is at http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/emary.html

My M91/38, like a lot of Carcanos, has a generous throat and bore, but shoots the Hornady .268 bullet very accurately.  At the time I bought dies from Lee I asked for the larger expander ball but they may offer that as an standard item now.  Slugging the bore would be a good idea before investing in dies.

Comparing the 6.5x52 to the 30-30 is spot on; it is a cartridge that performs best at moderate pressures and moderate velocities.  However those 160 grain bullets in 6.5 do have impressive penetration capability.

Good luck on the project!

Nels

Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

Tags: