In Praise Of The Paper Case Sharps

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), May 21, 2005, 03:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This type of firearm can be really fun to work with. I picked it up in a trade just for the history and looks but soon fell in love with it's eccentricities.

It is, of course, a paper case Sharps. It is in .54 caliber and has a twist for a conical bullet. At first I had a great deal of difficulty finding the correct load but it soon worked out to be about 60-65 grains of 2f.

Out of curiosity I wanted to try a 'loose load' and round ball so I set about working up a method. I measured the barrel interior length as precisely as I could and made a hickory rod to seat the round ball from the muzzle end. I then put in about 95 grains of 2f (approx standard .54 caliber load) and let fly. Whoooooeeee!!! Flame! Smoke! Recoil! ...and I don't know where the ball went.

Abandoning my attempt at self-destruction I went back to the conical bullet and paper cartridge. The accuracy is sufficient for deer up to 125 yards and the conical bullet is large enough to use on Elk.

The only modification I made was to take a full buckhorn muzzle loader sight blade and silver solder it on to the original adjustable base.

I'm including the images that show the breech block as well as the implements needed to assemble the paper cartridges. 'fp' stands for flash paper and the rest is pretty much self explanatory.

mtsharps

Hi Jay

How is the maker of you sharps?

what kind of group do you get with it ?

Jay Edward (deceased)

The manufacturer is Sile and I have to admit that they did a fine job on 'fit and finish'.

Groups, as I recall, are around 2 1/2" which is adequate for deer and more than adequate for elk at the ranges I hunt.

I've owned the military version of this rifle and cannot say that it felt as good in my hands as this style...the 'sporter'.  The 'balance' is better and it just has a 'business' look and a 'hunter's rifle' look.

Smokepole

Jay,
I believe this type of rifle was used by Hiram Berdan's Sharpshooters. This may seem winded, but interesting. http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/

"At the outset of the war, Berdan recognized that the infantry tactics used in war were outdated. He used his political influence to gain an audience with President Abraham Lincoln. Berdan presented a concept of forming a specialized unit of soldiers. The "Sharpshooters" would be comprised entirely of volunteers who proved that they were the best shots in their states. Thus these marksmen would use aimed fire directed at selected targets rather than massed fire. Lincoln, being a marksman himself, quickly recognized the merit in Berdan's idea.

Lincoln authorized the formation of one company (100 men) from each of the loyal states. Eventually a few states were unable to raise the alloted company, but others, such as Michigan raised more than one. All in all 20 companies were filled, comprising two full regiments. The 1st Regiment, United States Sharpshooters began reporting for service in the fall of 1861. The 2nd Regiment formed later. 1st Regiment, USSS, Company "C" was formed in Lansing, Michigan in September of 1861. From There, they traveled to Weehawken, New Jersey for Assembly and Instruction, then on to Washington D.C. where they were placed into service. The Berdan sharpshooters were the only volunteer unit in all of the civil war to bear the designation, "United States" and to be supplied entirely by the Federal Government.

To become a Sharpshooter, a candidate was required to fire a qualification course using a rifle brought to the competition by the volunteer. The course of fire consisted of shooting ten rounds as rapidly as the shooter could reload into a target ten inches in diameter at a distance of two hundred yards. All ten rounds had to hit the target and the average distance could be no more than five inches from the center of the target. This was measured using a fifty inch string. The end of the string was placed on the center of the target then run to the nearest hole in the target. The point where the string intersected the hole was then moved to the center and the distance to the next hole measured, then so on. If the end of the string was reached before the last hole could be measured, the volunteer was disqualified. Thus the term "A string of fifty" was born.
The Berdan Sharpshooters used a Sharps .52 caliber, breech loading rifle manufactured by the Christian Sharps Co. The rifle used a one piece cartridge consisting of a "ball" which was either glued or tied to a cylindrical cartridge of paper or linen which contained powder. The first Sharps cartridges were tied at the tail end. The block at the breech (back) of the firing chamber slid downward by the operation of a lever under the receiver and was designed such that, when closed, it would clip off the tail of the cartridge, exposing the powder. The primer cone was mounted on the top of the block. When the hammer fell on the cap, a fulminated mercury charge was ignited. Fire was routed through a vent in the block and into the chamber of the rifle, igniting the cartridge. Exposing the powder caused a problem of the grains of powder getting between the block and receiver. The cartridges were soon shortened and a primer of fulminated mercury was placed at the tail end of the round.

The Berdan uniform was of standard U.S. Army Wool. However, it was a distinctive green in color. "to blend in with the foliage and trees during the leafy season." They wore a green forage cap with a black ostrich feather. The jacket was a Frock Coat. The brogan shoes were covered with brown leather gaiters which rose to the knee to protect the legs when walking through brush. The buttons of the uniform were made of hard, black rubber to prevent the reflection of light. The leathers were a simple waist belt with cartridge box, cap box and bayonette. The Berdans used a unique Knapsack. The pack was of Prussian design, made of a wood frame covered with cowhide with the hair side out. A square mess kit was tied to the outside of the pack by use of leather straps.

Marksmen from the 1st and 2nd US Sharpshooters were the deadliest in the war. Berdan Sharpshooters were credited for a higher percentage of kills than any other unit in the war. Berdan Sharpshooters also suffered the highest casualties. This was due to their employment exclusively as light infantry. The Sharpshooters were responsible for patrolling in front of the main body of infantry. They would seek out the enemy, then engage them for the purpose of discovering the Rebel deployment. Once the Confederate bodies were located, The Berdans would report back to the commanders what they had found and establish battle lines for the main forces. Upon being relieved from the advanced assignment, they would reenforce the infantry, frequently supporting flanks to prevent the enemy from flanking a battle line, or providing additional support at weaker placements in the main line of battle. When it became necessary for the main body to retreat, the Sharpshooters would stay behind to prevent the retreating forces from being overrun.

The Sharpshooters trained exclusively in Skirmish Drill. Rather than fighting in one large massed body, the Berdans would deploy at intervals of five yards and fire in partners. Thus a canon blast would only disable two or three of the men on the line and two men next to each other would never have empty rifles at the same time.

The combination of skirmish line fighting, the rapid loading and the accuracy of the Sharps rifle proved deadly to many a confederate officer or cannoneer. A quick sharpshooter could fire as many as 6-8 rounds per minute with great accuracy and range in combat, compared to 2-3 for an infantryman using a muzzle loader. The Berdans were credited with kills at distances up to 800 yards and shots of 400-500 yards were not uncommon."

Alboy

Thanks Smokepole and That was not windy, it was good reading. Do you have one of thase set ups?

Take care good to see you drop in.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

Hey Smokepole...it isn't a bad thing to provide information like that.  The more we can expose the true history, in all it's ramification, the more we can excite those who know nothing about that history.

I sure appreciate all the information and participation you folks provide.

It is somewhat like the Fur Trade and original Exploration by Europeans.  Wherever they went, other men went with them...and there were men there when they got there.  Most of my respect I reserve for the working men and the men in the trenches.  Those everyday men and women...and their tools...are what I am most interested in.

Here is a 'thumbnail sketch' of Hiram Berdan.  It detracts nothing from history...it simply puts it all in better perspective.  I've never been one to glorify the man so much as glorifying the deeds.  

Smokepole

Thanks Jay and Alboy,
Alboy, no I don't have one of these. I did research them in hopes that I could use one here in Ohio for deer season. I talked with the ODNR people here and they informed me that even thought this is a black-powder firearm, it loads from the breech. Ohio only has a "are you ready for this" a "Muzzle Loader season, not to be confused with a black-powder season." Meaning the Savage 10 (with its smokeless powder) can be used. At that point, I decided to shoot the round ball from the fowlers until I purchased a .50 cal GPR.

Here is a little more on paper cartridges.

To make nitrated paper, for paper cartridges, you will need to obtain some potassium nitrate (available from your local pharmacy. Saturate one cup of water (or as much as you need) with potassium nitrate, until no more will dissolve and pour it into a flat pan. Thoroughly soak "rag bond" paper, of the lightest weight available, in the potassium nitrate solution. A minute is usually sufficient. Be sure the "rag bond" paper is constructed of cloth, rather then wood pulp (obtained at some office supply stores).
After drying, roll the now nitrated paper around a dowel the same diameter as the projectile you are shooting. (Note: smaller pieces of paper are easier to work with). Approximate dimensions for pieces of paper are 1-15/16" wide by 3" long for 54 caliber and 1-11/16" wide by 3" long for 45 Caliber. This will allow for 1/4" overlap. Use a glue stick to glue the paper together. Insert the bullet into one end of the rolled paper and tie it together with a piece of silk thread, (bullets should have lube grooves, so the silk thread and knot can recess slightly into the bullet after being tied). An alternative method would be to tack it on with glue.

NOTE: Cigarette rolling paper may be used in place of nitrated paper provided it is proper length to insure a complete powder charge.

Fill the remaining space of the cartridge with a pre-measured amount of powder, allowing an empty space at the top so the paper can be tied, or folded over and glued. Powder charge will be approximately 60 grains of FFg for 45 cal. and 80 grains of FFg for 54 cal. Dimensions and amount of powder needed can vary, depending on type of bullet used.

NOTE: the excess powder is to insure a full chamber. Any excess powder or paper will be trimmed off by the closing action of the breech. To seal and finish the paper cartridge, twist the end of the paper and tie it with cotton or nylon string, or fold it over and glue it.

Safely precautions: make sure there is no smoldering paper residue left in chamber before loading again.

Sincerely
Smokepole

drinksgin (deceased)

If the local drug store does not have Potassium Nitrate, check with any butcher's supply or any place that supplies sausage makers, it is used in curing meats.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jay Edward (deceased)

One further note...the 'paper' for the cartridge can be purchased from Dixie Gun Works and might just be available at a magic shop if you live near a city large enough to support such.

Here are a couple of places of the Net to have a look:

http://www.magic-mart.net/

http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/default.php?cPath=28&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=df9a27643f4a2e41d4933215f699b70b

Tags: