Here are a few tips..

Started by 12 gauge, October 07, 2004, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12 gauge

And it is the first post here :D :D :D

1. If there are cows in the area you hunt, then stepping in cow manure is a great way to get to your stand without leaving a trail of human scent.

2. Only hunt a stand when the wind is in your favor. This may require hunting your second choice or simply having two stands to hunt a particular area.

3. Always let someone know were you will be hunting. If possible explain in detail where the stand is are mark it on a map. If something happens then at least they will know where to start looking for you.

4. Check your stands for defects before the season starts and periodically during the season. This might just save your life.

5. Always wear blaze orange even when you aren't hunting. Blaze orange is great but many hunters, unfortunately, think that since everyone should have on orange then it is safe to shoot at any movement that doesn't appear to have on orange.

6. Always take a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide when hunting. Often fallen leaves have red sap or just red coloring on them. It can be very difficult to tell what is blood. Easy to solve, just spray the peroxide. If it bubbles, it is blood.

7. Rub size is not a good indication of deer size. Track size and tine marks in scrapes sometimes can give you an indication of a bucks size.

8. When looking for a place to hang your stand, remember funnels natural or otherwise make great stand sites

9. When choosing a arrow for bow hunting avoid the camo colors, choose high visability colors so you can find your arrow quicker after a shot at a deer!

10. For bow hunting it amazes me that people will spend untold hours shooting their bows from the ground and then hunt from a tree. I shoot exclusively from a tree stand when its within a month of bow season.

"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

rednkwmn

One more suggestion if I may be so inclined to add.  When hunting from a tree stand, always wear a safety harness.

12 gauge

Good point..

I don't, but i wish i had a safety harness...trying to put on my big jacket today cause it got cold i felt myself leaning forward to put my arms in and i caught myself and sat back down lol!

I think a safety harness would be a good idea..;)

Any other suggestions?

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Tags: