Probably the final range report from AK on the .338 MAI

Started by gitano, July 01, 2005, 10:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Went to the range a couple of days ago, and shot the .338 MAI among others. Results as far as precision, muzzle velocities and chamber pressures were just as expected. Therefore, I'm about 'done' with the workup on this rifle. I see no need to shoot any more other than for practice, and since this is John's rifle, I don't really need to be "practicing" with it.

Below are targets and graphs from shots with 160 grain Barnes "X" FB, 200 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip, and Nosler 210 Partition. The 200 and 210 shoot about the same, but the 160 is poor, to put it nicely. I'm sure I could fiddle with the 165 and get it to shoot better, but I'm not particularly interested for some reason. I didn't shoot the 175, but given the other three's consistent performance, I wouldn't expect it to deviate from previous performance either. The only bullet below 210 that I haven't tried is the Barnes 185 "X" BT which is coated. I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance in some loads I worked up recently in a .338 Win Mag.

Anyway, here are the stats, and the targets follow.

160 grain Barnes "X" FB
59.0 grains of N-150
Average Muzzle Velocity - 3170 f/s
Group Width - 3.86"
Group Height - 1.76"
Max SPread - 4.24"
Area of 95% Prediction Ellpse - 99.77 square inches

200 CT Ballistic Silvertip
54.0 grains of N-150
Average Muzzle Velocity - 2823 f/s
Group Width - 0.78"
Group Height - 0.92"
Max SPread - 1.20"
Area of 95% Prediction Ellpse - 11.04 square inches

210 Nosler Partition
53.0 grains of N-150
Average Muzzle Velocity - 2733 f/s
Group Width - 0.51"
Group Height - 0.81"
Max SPread - 1.00"
Area of 95% Prediction Ellpse - 7.24 square inches

Paul

OBTW, the lowest left 4th hole in the 210 group was the first out of a clean bbl. As I stated in the thread about the 7x300, I don't include fouling shots in group size calculations. If you want more justification, please go to the 7x300 thread.

PPS - It's REALLY annoying when the THL image editor rearranges the images to suite it's whims. I'll see what I can do to get the target images in the order I want them instead of the order the manager wants them.
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Since I'm a heavy bullet fan...I can say that I'm impressed with the accuracy.  This cartridge looks to be a very satisfactory alternative to my beloved .35 Whelen Improved.

I wonder what the results would be with my equally beloved 4831?

Hunterbug

Didn't you get pretty good groups before with the 160gr Barnes? Barnes is also making a 185gr TSX that you may consider trying. When do we get to see pictures of the rifles themselves? The 200/210gr loads look about the same as before with pretty good speed. That would thump a deer or an elk.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Paul,

Practice with it all you want.......its "your" rifle until I can get yours to ya!  Before you send it back I sure wish you could locate a black bear or a caribou for a final field test.

Great work, pardner!  I certainly appreciate all your efforts and tiime you have spent doing the range work.  I feel we have a winner this time around.  If you would, please give a "tie up the loose ends" summary.

Ol' John...:D :D :D :cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

A couple of apologies are in order I guess.:o

First to HB - Picture coming next post.

John - I did say I was sending that summary didn't I? I'll get it together this weekend - hopefully.:confused:

Jay - I thought about 4831, as I really like it too. However, John worked the preliminary load data up on Load From A Disk, and I wanted to stay with John's initial data. Also, I've been interested in trying Vihtavouri powders for some time, and this project gave me an excuse. Finally, I get confused easily. I have to stick to simple plans, and using multiple powders while working up a load often "gives me a headache":confused: . I am going to try some 4831 though.

HB - I love the Triple Shock idea - I hate the prices. It's not exactly the price itself, it's the fact that I KNOW they don't cost Barnes any more to manufacture them, but Barnes wants 50% more outta my pocket. Until the prices come down to the level of their other bullets - which are over-priced as well - I'll be watching TSXs. It's a "principle" thing. (Sometimes AKA "cutting off your nose to spite your face." :) )

The $34/50 I have to pay for the 185 coated "X" has kept me from using them personally. I wouldn't even know about them if it hadn't been for the fellow that wanted me to work up loads for him using those specific bullets. (I tried to get him to go with the 200 CT Ballistic Silvertips or the Nosler 210s, but to no avail. :) ) If I was planning to hunt brown bears with the MAI, maybe I'd part with the cash for the 185 "X", just for the extra speed. But I really like the Nosler 210 Partition, and 210 is right at the delivered-power optimum on the 'sweet-spot' graph for the .338 WM. It would come down to which one delivered the most energy at 200 yds and less in the MAI.

Also, yes I did get better groups last time I shot the 160s, but, 1) not that great, and 2) inconsistency 'spooks' me. Maybe I'll try the 160s and 175s with 4831.

I too think the MAI is an excellent choice for deer and elk, but actually, I think it's an excellent choice for just about anything North American... with the possible exception of prairie dogs and ground squirrels. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sav17

Hi Paul,

looked at a few of your range reports now,and I am becoming increasingingly fascinated by your graphs and formulae,you obviously have an extensive knowledge of physics.Only problem is I just cant seem to fathom them out,would it be really complex for you to maybe explain the ground rules for the formulae to me.I am not a total nugget when it comes to science and engineering,but I really struggled to make sense of the equations.I would really appreciate it if you could steer me towards the next level
Thank you,your friend......................................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

gitano

Love to Richie, just let me know where you wanna start. I will add, that the purpose of including the equations was so that those that wanted to, could check my work and assumptions. It was not to impress. To be honest, you and M1Garand are the first to express much interest. I was about to quit showing that stuff at all, figuring nobody was particularly interested, or saw little value to it. That's not a whine. There are lots of "things" I'm interested in that other folks, very nice and reasonable folks, are not interested in. So goes the way of things.

Anyway, be glad to walk through the process. Just let me know where you want to start.

Since I promised HB "next post", here's the picture of John's MAI.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Maybe a brief explanation about the graphs above is called for.

The circles that represent the bulet holes are placed according to x and y coordinates I derive from a digital image of the target and an image processing package I use called Image Pro. It's primarily for use by those working in pattern recognition and image analysis. Using the windage, elevation and Point-of-Aim coordinates for the shots, I can make the graph, and calculate a variety of statistics. My primary interest is in prediction. Therefore, I want to know, for myself, where the next shot is most likely to go. There are some fairly standard mathematical manipulations that produce Prediction intervals around a specific distribution of observations of a random variable. In English, that simply means that using the statistics about the shot placement, I can statistically predict the most likely place the next shot, or the next 100 shots will hit. The circle drawn around the group is the 95% Prediction ellipse. Based on this sample only, there is a 95% probability that the next shot will land within that circle. Put another way, if I shoot 100 more shots, 95 of them are most likely to fall within that circle.

In a separate thread, I'll use the summary I'm making up for John as a vehicle for explaining the processing I go through in analyzing range data.

I'll let John give you the scoop on the components of the rifle. The white 'dot' you see in the lower image is the connector to the pressure strain gauge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Sometimes, I'm just stoopid.:rolleyes:

I was reviewing the first range session with the 160 Barnes, and it was obvious as the nose on my face that the bullet didn't "like" anything less than a 60 grain charge. However, in my haste to prepare for the most recent range session, I loaded them with 59 grain charges. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid. I'll be back at the range tomorrow with 160s charged with 60 grains of N-150. We'll see how that goes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

It's OK Forrest.

I liked the Star Trek statement from Kirk to Spock in the one where they bring whales from the past to save the planet. This is paraphrased, " I would rather have a wild guess from you tha reasoned fact from others." or something like that.

Sending you a PM by the way.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

You know if the whales had still had a season the hunters would have made sure there were some still around to hunt. As soon as "Save the (you fill in the blank) get their way the species is forgotten and left to fend on its on.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

sav17

I ,m sorry I know it is going of the subject but alboy you have just touched a nerve I agree with you 100% the sooner we can form a"" sensible people who mind their own business and do their own thing"" against the ""save just about anything we feel like this week coz we are bored movement """"the better off this planet will beyour friend .................................Richie

sav17

Love to Richie, just let me know where you wanna start. I will add, that the purpose of including the equations was so that those that wanted to, could check my work and assumptions. It was not to impress.
Ok Paul,
I think we should start from the very beginning ,with the basics,as I have no previous knowledge of this math at all.
That is if it is not to much trouble
Your friend.......................................Richie

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Paul,

My friend and co-conspirator................PLEASE GO SHOOT SOMETHING WITH THE 338X57 MAI........PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE -- WITH SUGAR ON IT!!!!!:D

I just revisited this thread and felt we needed to put the final thoughts on it!

Ol' John;) :mad: :o :cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: