Pecatonica Stock Conversion

Started by Stryker, October 23, 2004, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker

A few month's back I bought a Hawken Full Stock, in Walnut, from Pecatonica stocks. This is a replacement stock to convert T/C Hawkens to full stock models. I'd thought I'd post a few pics to show how it's shaping up. The butt plate is not your typical Hawken style. It's more of a poor boy style, but that is what I like. The work is being done by Terry Mcclain who runs http://www.narragansettarmes.com/ We've just been to swamped at work for me to do it. also, he's revamping his website over the next week or two, so it may be down if you try the link.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Jay Edward (deceased)

A very interesting transformation Stryker...the process improves the look considerably above the factory offering.

I would like to make a personal observation (not a criticism)...were it mine I believe I would like to have the lock panel a little more delicate.  My personal taste runs to a little less of a wide surface before and after the lock plate.

Your rifle has some fine wood their and is going to be eye catching amongst other owners who care for uniqueness.  I, like others here, will be waiting to see the finished product.

Stryker

Quote from: Jay EdwardA very interesting transformation Stryker...the process improves the look considerably above the factory offering.

I would like to make a personal observation (not a criticism)...were it mine I believe I would like to have the lock panel a little more delicate. My personal taste runs to a little less of a wide surface before and after the lock plate.

Your rifle has some fine wood their and is going to be eye catching amongst other owners who care for uniqueness. I, like others here, will be waiting to see the finished product.
Thanks Jay,
Not only do I think it looks better as well, it also handles much better. The Pecatonica stock has more drop and length to it. When it slides into your shoulder, the sights are right there. As to the refinments, It's still far from being done. I appreciate your comment, and more wood is going to be removed elswhere before it is finished. I just have it now because I needed a rifle to hunt with this past weekend.

If you remember our discussion a few months ago about caliber; Which, we won't go back into. :o I picked up, very cheaply, a new .45 Green Mountain T/C drop in barrel for only $60. The .50 that came with my T/C was just too shot out. Of Course I've been shooting with it for the past 20 years so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I may reamed that out and convert it to a smooth bore / shotgun. But the .45 shoots great. I look forward to taking many deer with it.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Stryker[/size]
The .50 that came with my T/C was just too shot out. Of Course I've been shooting with it for the past 20 years so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I may ream that out and convert it to a smooth bore / shotgun.
[/size]

I like the 'reaming out' idea Stryker.  Perhaps a .54 or .58 caliber smoothbore?  .58 caliber would be darn close to 24 gauge.

I'm going to put up an image here of different lock panels to illustrate what my personal tastes run towards.

The Leman Plains is too narrow to my way of thinking but it is correct for that rifle.  The 'Plains Rifle' is about perfect in my view.  The others are correct as well but are slightly different configurations.

Whatever you do will be great and, again, I would like to congratulate you on taking this step of changing the stock.  I did not realize that Pecotinica was making this available.  I had heard that someone was making steel furniture available for TCs but I cannot remember who it was.  I do remember seeing someone at the range with the steel (browned) and I was surprised.

Stryker

Quote from: Jay EdwardI like the 'reaming out' idea Stryker. Perhaps a .54 or .58 caliber smoothbore? .58 caliber would be darn close to 24 gauge.

I'm going to put up an image here of different lock panels to illustrate what my personal tastes run towards.

The Leman Plains is too narrow to my way of thinking but it is correct for that rifle. The 'Plains Rifle' is about perfect in my view. The others are correct as well but are slightly different configurations.

Whatever you do will be great and, again, I would like to congratulate you on taking this step of changing the stock. I did not realize that Pecotinica was making this available. I had heard that someone was making steel furniture available for TCs but I cannot remember who it was. I do remember seeing someone at the range with the steel (browned) and I was surprised.

Thanks for the comparison shots Jay, I do like the looks of the plains rifle as well. From what I understand Pecatonica has been making this available for several years now. It's about 90% inlet, so there's still quite abit of work to do on it. The butt is left flat so you can adjust for your own length of pull. As to the steel parts, I've seen them at track of the wolf. Some examples below

http://trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=144&styleId=550&partNum=BP-TC-H-I

http://trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=160&styleId=717&partNum=KEY-USA-I

http://trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=147&styleId=802&partNum=LOCK-LR-03-C
- Mark

Stryker

Well, It only took me a year to get some new pics posted but here is the finished product. I am very pleased with how the T/C parts fit the new stock. It was almost to the point of a "drop-in" stock. Some wood removal was required, but that's not uncommon. It has been shot several times now, and what a pleasure it is to shoot. The only original part I needed to replace was the barrel because I had shot the old one out. The new barrel is 4 inches longer than the original and a .45 caliber where the old one was a .50. With 60 grains of Goex, the rifle was dead on at 60 yards with recoil being little more than a straight push back with very little rise. I can't wait until muzzleloading season starts up in October. I know this risen Phoenix will certainly come though and provide some table meat for me and my family.
- Mark

Alboy

Stryker

Real nice work. I was going to volunteer my services as an heir but looking at your age that does not look promissing. How about I offer to shoot it regular while you build your next one???? :D  :D  :D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

That is a fine looking rifle Mark.  I believe that someone would have to get a much closer look to realize what you had done.   When you're sitting around with you buds, I suspect there might be a little bit of envy (if not a general rush to the gunmaker to have their's similarly modified).

Full stock?  Right up my alley!  Has a real flavor to it now.  And you know what?  I'm really looking forward to seeing that rifle in your hands standing next to a game animal this season.  Find the time Mark, find the time.

Stryker

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen. I'm looking forward to a couple of game photo's as well.

So far the green eyed monster (envy) has not raised it's head around here as most of the hunters here are die hard in-line shooters and think of me as the aberation.

The next addition to the safe I should have shortly. An early Virginia poor boy, circa 1760 by the same gunsmith who did this one. Now that work has slowed down, I'm starting to plan my next project. It's either going to be an early transitional rifle, similar to a Christian Springs style or an Isacc Haines style. I still haven't made up my mind. But first I need to finish building a new work bench to use in the next project. Need something a little longer.
- Mark

Tags: