Varmint Rifles vs Regular Hunting Rifles

Started by teddy12b, August 04, 2005, 06:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

Here's one I've been curious about for a long time.  What are the fundamental differences between a varmint rifle and a regular hunting rifle?  

I know calibers are usually smaller on the varmint rifles and the stocks are usually a little bit heavier, but other than that is there much difference?  Are varmint rifles built much better than a regular rifle?  

I held a savage varmint rifle with the heavy thick wood stock and I loved the feel of it.  I really like the heavier stock and heavier weight of the actual rifle.  Those varmint rifles just looked and felt tough.  At the same time though I've never shot one or been around one being shot so what do I know?

Marlin917VS

I agree with you.  The way I hunt big game, the most I walk is about 3-4 miles on any given day, so I wouldn't mind carrying a heavier rifle, so I would like one with a heavy laminated stock and heavy barrel (maybe not straight taper, but close to it).  I think they feel better in my hands, and even off hand they feel easier to keep steady.  My 17hmr weighs about 10lbs and I've carried it all over the place for squirrels with no sling attached and it's never bothered me, plus I can shoot better with it.  

Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Oregonhunter

Well....for me it was the weight thing that caused me to go back to a "regular hunting rifle" (Sporter version) I tried the Remington Sendero SF in the 300 RUM but it did get too heavy to pack around after just short hikes. You have to remember that after adding things like scopes and bi-pods, ammo and whatever else you add can make that 8-10 lb gun a 12 lb'er in a hurry.

I love to shoot the heavy stuff at the range or when sticking really close to the hunting rig but if you see any distance walking in your future then it gets real heavy in a hurry. One thing that really made me change back to the sporter version was the accuracy is not any better with the heavy barreled version for most hunting situations, now if you are doing lots of repeat firing like at yotes and other varmints then the barrel does not heat up as quickly as their smaller cousins but for most big game hunting I found my sporter gun did everything I needed it to.

Good luck and hope this helps some!

Oregonhunter

Rohann

To me, these are the differences:

Regular hunting rifle: Wood or synthetic stock (much of the time wood), light to medium weight, usually has iron sights, standard size barrel (not always free-floated)(usually 20-24"), made in commonly used caliber, affordable; scope is usually of low power either fixed or variable (i.e 6x40, 3-9x40), reasonable size objective lense (i.e 32mm, 35mm, 40mm), usually standard duplex reticle; standard, 1/4MOA or 1/2MOA knobs.

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm

Varmint Rifle: Wood or synthetic stock, usually heavy, no iron sights, usually has a wider fore-end and an extra swivel for a bipod, free-floated bull-barrel (sometimes fluted)(usually 24-30"), made for hot-loaded long range calibers usually no bigger than .280 caliber (i.e 204 Ruger, .220 Swift, .22-250 Rem., .25WSSM, etc.), usually quite expensive (much more so than a regular hunting rifle); Scope is usually of high power (and quite heavy), much of the time variable (i.e 24x, 6-24x, 8-32x, 4-16x), usually come with big objective lenses (44mm, 50mm+), range-finding and sometimes illuminated reticle; target-style, 1/8MOA knobs.

Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target

Hope this helps,
-Rohann

rockinbbar

Teddy,

I have a Savage 10FP, which might be a little lighter than the 12FV which is the varmint model....It sure does feel good to throw that weight out there when you have to shoot something offhand...;)

BUT, if you plan on a carry excursion, it gets heavy real quick. :)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

cornbread

How about the Rossi single shot 223 Rem for a coyote rifle.Ive thinking about buying one,So what do yall think.Well it do the job.

Later
Cornbread

teddy12b

From what I've heard about Rossi rifles, it'll do the job.

buckshot roberts

;) Yep those Rossi,and H&R's seem to be ok, Have you looked at the new savages, Having humped an m-60 machinegun, (18.75 pounds) for a time the weight in a rifle is nothing to me at my age now, but as I get older:D .
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: