My New Martini!!!!

Started by kombi1976, August 11, 2005, 07:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Thought I'd post these pics of a BSA Martini Cadet in 25-20 that I've just put money down on.
It's AUD$250 but I'm quite happy to pay that.
It has a custom stock that's a laminate.
I love the montecarlo comb on the butt stock but the really lovely bit is the broad curved fore end that fits in your hand like......well, I think you can imagine.;)
It's almost a schnabel.
It was love at first sight when I saw it on Tuesday and I made some big deals with my wife so I could buy it.:confused:
But I think it's well worth it.
25-20 will make a great bunny, hare and fox round.:)
Here she is:

Here are the BSA proofs.
There's also a stamp of a kangaroo on the receiver as the Cadet rifles were built as training guns for Australian army cadets.
I actually like the patina on the bluing.......it's kind of honest.;)

And finally the lovely fore end.
I love the tip on it.
The photos don't really do it justice.
Anyway, let me know what you think.
BTW, Vermonster, I have to wait five to six WEEKS before they'll let me take this home. :(
And that's despite the fact that I have 4 other guns(which I also had to wait for) and have proved that I'm not an aspiring homocidal maniac each time I bought them. :confused:
I mean who in their right mind would choose a 25-20 martini as a weapon of mass destruction? :rolleyes:
Wait a minute.......that's it!!
I must be out of my mind!! :eek:  :p
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Fortunate Son

kombi

I'm impressed even if no one else is.  How much does it weigh?  How long is the barrell?  Looks like it should be a tack driver.  Don't know what the conversion rate is AU to US, but it seems like a good deal to me.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Kombi,

THAT is one nice firearm, neighbor!  I have always been a great admirer of the Martini Cadets....and in 25-20 no less...thats a big WOW!  How is brass availability down under in the land of OZ?  Let me know if I can help you!

FS...current AUD/USD is roughly 80%....AUD of $250 would be USD $200.  That would be a smoking deal here as far as I am concerned.  I have seen a few Martini's similiar going for $450-500 USD.

You done good, amigo....mighty, mighty GOOD!

Ol' John...:D :D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

CAfrica

Lovely piece Kombi.  That stock might turn out to be a bit short for a regular size person. Length of pull just looks a bit short on the pictures but maybe its my imagination.  If it is on the short size, it would make it ideal for the kids.

I hope it brings you much joy.  Happy shooting.

C

Hunterbug

That's a nice rig. HondoJohn is right, that would be a killer deal here.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

FS, I can't really give you accurate figures on all that.
I has a pretty heavy barrel that doesn't appear to be very long.
That said it's single shot and they generally appear shorter.
The weight is very low and it certainly isn't the longest gun I own but I didn'tfind myself bunched up behind the trigger.
The LOP should be fine.
There are actually a lot of little Cadet Martinis here chambered in rounds like 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 22 K-Hornet and 357 Magnum.
There were even some built in 256 Win Mag.
They all usually retail for between AUD$250 and AUD$400 and if your lucky you can pick up a good original .310 Cadet for around the AUD$300 mark.
Unfortunately .310 Cadet isn't really all that useful a cartridge.
It was only designed as training round anyway and I guess is like an underpowered 32-20(think a 120gn bullet at 1250fps), pretty weird considering the Cadet Martini action, although small, is quite up to a bit of pressure.
To be honest the limitations on a Cadet action are the possible OAL it can load and the size of the barrel shank, as Jay would tell you.
BTW, any load recommendations for 25-20 would be helpful.
Also, what's the consensus on using the Hornady 75gn V-Max?
Remember, I don't have a tube mag to be concerned about.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

drinksgin (deceased)

Kombi;

Nice rifle, I really like ss and levers, both.
Here is some info.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Alboy

Making big deals with the "Finance Minister" reminds of the fella washing his new Bass Boat and the neighbor admiring it aske, "Wht that set you back?"

New owner answers with out missing a beat, "Refrubished kitchen, new living room set, 2 refurbished bath rooms."
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Oh yea,

You can send it over for testing and load developement, should not take me over 10-15 years to get her perfected and returned.:D :D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I just went to my "Currency Calculator" and right now, AUD to USD is 0.77. Making this a $193 USD buy. I'd be willing to pay close to twice that just for the action. Getting weapons form Australia to here is a nightmare though, even when both parties are licensed and even if the arms are 'antiques'. "Good on ya mate."

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

My wife is actually a lovely person......she just doesn't like guns.
Actually, that's probably a bit of an understatement.
Let's say she tolerates them.
Her main argument was that she wasn't seeing me use mine very often and so couldn't see the point in having more.
I'm trying to bring her around on that point.
I'm also trying to get to the range more often to resolve that.
I deliberately got up early for this morning's range meet when I usually sleep in and only go to the Sunday shoots.
I was pretty pleased I did too and intend to go out in the paddock tomorrow afternoon to try and nail a few bunnies.
Maybe even call a fox in.
Anyhow, there ya go.
As far as cheap guns from Australia, it cuts both ways.
The Mausers on Gunbroker are dramatically cheaper than here, even after currency conversion.:(
A few things are cheaper here but others cost an absolute fortune.
Meanwhile I think I'll try and score a large frame martini action(say about $250 to $300) to make into a custom cartridge like .416 Barnes or perhaps 9.3x74R.
Either that or pick up a Martini Enfield .303 and tidy it up.
All of them can be chambered to black powder(with some load experimentation) and yet still really perform with jacketed bullets and smokeless powder.
Either that or pick up a Martini Enfield .303 and tidy it up.
The cool thing is that the main deal I made with my wife is basically no guns for at least 2 years.
That doesn't, however, include actions. ;)
So I'll accumulate the stuff and get it finished later on down the track.
Meanwhile, 25 cal fun with the Cadet!:D
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

QuoteAs far as cheap guns from Australia, it cuts both ways.
The Mausers on Gunbroker are dramatically cheaper than here, even after currency conversion....

I think I'll try and score a large frame martini action - Get one for me too.
It's a cryin' shame that honest people can't do honest business. And it's not the criminals I blame for the current state of affairs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Of course, they may not be criminals but they certainly aren't honest.......the politicians I mean.
It is possible to ship firearms into Australia legally and it really isn't that difficult once they get here.....so long as you bring them on the plane with you.
They get picked up at customs and are held there until they're cleared.
Getting gun into or out of the States these days, however, is near well impossible.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

My previous post assumed a reader was following my thought process, which was difficult since it was poorly phrased. Let me clarify what I meant to say.

QuoteIt's a cryin' shame that honest people can't do honest business. In this sentence I meant that it's too bad the a licensed gun dealer in Australia and a licensed gun dealer in the US can't hardly do business for all the "red tape". And it's certainly not "worth it" to even try except for firearms of extraordinary value. More importantly, a couple of law-abiding but unlicensed citizens of these two countries CANNOT, under ANY circumstances, legally exchange firearms. And it's not the criminals I blame for the current state of affairs. With this sentence, I was referring to the defense of draconian laws that usually goes something like this: "If it weren't for what criminals, do with guns, we wouldn't have to have such restrictive laws." That is hardly less than a bald-faced lie. Those that want absolute gun "control" consider a law-abiding armed citizen a threat, and want absolute gun control even if gun-related crime was zero.
Quote from: kombi1976Of course, they may not be criminals but they certainly aren't honest.......the politicians I mean. You must have better politicians in Australia than we do here.
It is possible to ship firearms into Australia legally and it really isn't that difficult once they get here.....so long as you bring them on the plane with you. All of which is true for the US as well. Bringing them on the plane isn't "shipping".
They get picked up at customs and are held there until they're cleared. It's not even that bad in the US. They "clear" with the passenger. Please spare me the "horror stories". The same examples of a "bad event" could be cited for carrying perfume.
Getting gun into or out of the States these days, however, is near well impossible. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but you might want to check the source. I've traveled several times internationally with firearms since 9-11, and the U.S. end has been the easiest by a great, great margin.
Paul

Oh yeah, PLEASE let's not start a "My country's better than your country." arguement over gun laws, OR a tirade about gun laws. For the most part, we all agree about gun laws. Additionally, there's absolutely NOTHING positive to come from "discussing" what each of us might think about what they think happens in another country. If you (the editorial "you"), want to take me to task over my comments, please do so in "Private" mail, and leave this thread to the original subject - Kombi's good fortune at acquiring a Martini. My comments were borne of envy, not accusation.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Kombi;
I thought it was you who said in another thread about range rules, that the published factory velocitys were all the authorities accepted, may have been another Ozite , though.
If the same type of rule applies on your range, downloading would not help.
Don :(
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: