Interesting Photography....Extreme Zoom

Started by rockinbbar, August 17, 2005, 07:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

I've been seeing lots of elk up on the mountain behind the 'ol homestead here lately...

They are generally 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away, though, so I look at them with binoculars and my survey instrument.
The Nikon instrument has spectacular optics & is 32 power. It really brings the elk & deer up close & clear...

WELL...I got to thinking...(Rare, I know..) If I held the digital camera up to the eyepiece of the instrument, what would the pic look like?

Hmmm...The elk had already gone this morning, so I focused the instrument on my 100 yard target, (which is 115 yards from the deck I was using)...I snapped the pic. It came out clear enough to see the bullet holes I had put there with my .45 ACP last weekend! (Yes, I shoot my Colt .45 ACP at 100 yards...;))

Not Bad!....
So, the elk were messing around up there this evening, at between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile away...

I focused on a cow elk & snapped a pic....

The results are amazing to me.

I'll include a regular pic without the benefit of the survey instrument for comparison.

Just thought this was interesting.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

rockinbbar

The arrow shows where that cow elk was....

Skip

rockin... keep working at it and you should be able to get even clearer pictures.
By the way, the elk looked delicious  :D

Kit

very cool!

I've used a $12 binocular on a $49 digital camera and gotten some nice snaps.  

Not as far...

... but fun, eh?!

:cool:

rockinbbar

Yes,

It beats not being able to snap anything at that distance.

I have crosshairs in the pictures though...:D

Dragonfly

Great pics!!! First thing we know you'll have that elk in your freezer Rockin!!:D

Gmoney

Nice Barry....that is the same hill we saw the monster bull last November.....:)
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

Sure did enjoy those Rockin' . I think the crosshairs gave the picture character ;).
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

LOL....

I'll try & get some front lit shots of the big bulls when they appear again...

They wander in & out of the open spots on the mountain lots in late Aug. & Sept.

Rockin'

Kit

Quote from: rockinbbarI have crosshairs in the pictures though...:D
Yes, I noticed and it was a very nice touch.  Nostalgic, even!

Or maybe more forward-looking than back...

:cool:

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've been considering getting some sort of lens for my Epson to bring those far-away-shots a little closer.  Sometimes the pics I need to take are on the other side of the river and the standard lens just cannot cut it.

I've heard conflicting testimony about enhancing digital since the data is 'added in' and not just magnified.  I'd be interested in which software program you are working to clear up the images.

WHITETAIL HUNTER

Nice picture since the Elk I can see are at fenced in ranches up here(Roosvelt Reds), I would love to live were you do, thinking real hard on moving. Thank You:)
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Tags: