I Got Me a Trophy!

Started by Kanibal, October 06, 2005, 03:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

Well kind of anyways.  Here goes my story! I was sharpening my broadheads getting ready for an archery hunt and things were going like you would expect when sharpening broadheads until suddenly a tragedy happened that would affect the next few weeks of my life.  As I was finishing up one of the last of my dozen or so hunting arrows I was dragging the broadhead across the stone when it slipped off and went straight into my leg.  

It entered about five inches above my right knee and burried itself all the way to the shaft.  I was so surprised at what had happened that I immediately pulled it back out of my leg as I knew in the back of my mind that that particular arrow was probably meant to be in some sort of game animal somewhere out in the forest rather than in my very own thigh.  Immediately removal of the arrow I found that massive hemorage did infact take place and that broadheads really do their job and do it well.  

As I continued to bleed I quickly grabbed my nearby phone and called the paramedics.  I was bleeding so much that I was afraid I had cut my femoral artery, but when the paramedics arrived I had found that I had not cut the artery but that it required stitches.  They bandaged me up and I made for the ER.  I ended up losing well over a pint of my blood, a few towels, a favorite pair of pants and the use of my right leg.  

I was also to find that my broadheads are very sharp and if they work on myself then they should surely work on a deer.  Probably not the best way to test the sharpness of a broadhead, but now I know what a deer feels like and may even show a little more respect for the game I kill.

Moral of this story-  Always pay attention to what your doing regardless of how many times you have done it and also SWITCH TO RUBBER BLUNTS!!!!!!!

P.S.  I have pictures of my stitches if anyone would like me to post them on this thread. I just thought Id ask before someone with a queezy stomach saw a picture of my battle wound.
-Richard

buckshot roberts

:D Go show, congrats to you, post a pic.;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

buckshot roberts

;) Hey, I was just been funny, I hope you are ok.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Richard, I commend your sense of humor in a definately bad situation.  No need to dwell on things I guess.  Sorry to hear about your leg though and hope it heals up correctly and quickly.

I was wondering, perhaps you could test some mechanicals as well and give us a definitive answer on their effectiveness?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Man!

Close one, for sure...
Sorry to hear about that. :(

Maybe you can bury it in something better than your leg next time?...;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

rockinbbar

Oh,

By the way....You are grounded from "spinning" you new Ruger, now...:D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Highstand

Wow that is some luck. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Highstand

buckshot roberts

Hey, I can't send you a get well card,so here are some get well pic's

Kanibal

Thank you for all of your concerns.  I am sure my leg will heal in time, but my pride may not.  :)  I havent been ablke to walk lately as my quadracep is cut up pretty badly.  I keep all of my broadheads razor sharp but after this I may grind them all down.  As for your broadhead  testing requests, I will be charging five dolllars per test.  I have plenty of leg space to go around and even more on the left leg.  Mechanicals, two blades, four blades, field points, obsidian tips, fish heads, for five dollars a pop Ill test each type.  Please send requests to my private message box.  Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Ill also post pictures of my battle scar soon.
-Richard

Gmoney

Hey Richard...glad you are back with us again....guess the phone call worked ehhh?....In case you haven't quite got the picture => the arrow goes in the GAME, not you..:)..I know how sharp those things are...I sliced my finger open a couple of years ago on one...didn't even feel it, it went to the bone but it didn't even bleed the cut was so clean.....hope you recover in time to do some hunting...if not try a gun so you can do it from your  house...;)......later bud....G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

12 gauge

Wow! I bet that hurt!

Here are some funny things to cheer ya up just like BuckshotRoberts posted..But here are some other ones..

"I thought i could smell a twinkie!"

"Some decoys just aren't made for the brightest of creatures..."
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Antler3

Oh my gosh ! Yes I bet that hurt :( . Sure hope you heal up good and will get to do some hunting. Wow pulling it back out must have hurt even worse. Lesson learned the hard way for sure. Bet that'll be real sore for awhile. Lay up and let 'er heal. Good time to catch up on all the latest deer hunting tips and strategies ;) !
ANTLER 3

M1Garand

Wow, tough break.  At least you aren't seriously injured.  Hopefully it heals in time to do some hunting.

buckshot roberts

;) Just check'n on how you are do'n, I got hit by a car last summer, broken my r/knee, I still had this leg thing on when turkey season opened, check the pic, in turkey thread, I still hunted with it on and man I hurt "BAD", but still got me a 28 pounder, I had to have my brother-in-law, drive me around on my atv, and help me set up my blind, and set in that hot thing all day, from 6.am-7.pm until  I got that old bird. It came off the last 3 days of the season, and I got one more, but I did pay out a lot of pain for it, so i hope you are do'n ok, and can get out and hunt.,

BuckBox Displays

Congrats! Make sure to post some pictures for everyone to see!

Tags: